Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Ebay 1942 Flathead and Vintage Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts
Default Ebay 1942 Flathead and Vintage Racing

Looking for some advice, looking to make my first purchase in the "Classic" category. We were spectators at some vintage racing a couple of weekends ago and the wife and I really got bitten with the bug to get involved. I have been riding my entire adult life and I know my way around a Harley, but this will be new to me going this old.

Since I am more interested in vintage racing then riding it on the road this is the kind of bike I have been looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121465501769...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It seems to me that in the HD world, a 45 will be the cheapest ticket into the party, Knuckles and big Flatties are through the roof. Seller has advised that the bike has a salvage title.

Any advice or warnings on this particular bike?
Any advice on what to look for and what to avoid?
Any direction on a better place to try and find this type of motorcycle rather than Ebay and Craigs List?

All words of wisdom from those of you that have been there will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

the cheapest is the jap bikes u just throw them away

i would do homework before you jump in - what do you want to race - dirt, circle / hill climb
road racing - flat track - the location of the events how r u getting everything to the event - the equiptment to do this 3 maybe 4 days gone for one race - pit bikes - toy hauler - tow unit diesel truck

look into clubs that do this - they will also know someone getting out - lots of things for sale at the events you do not know about unless your part of the club - they will have meetings and a news letter you can get a copy - but you need know your end goal

we in my shop had a drag team ironhead sporty 15 years lots of fun / lots of cash one direction

today we do the AMCA events and i restore 1920s 30 s 40s bikes buy and sell do some vending and maybe i brake even

you will need a shop or ebven two that will put you in the front, for things that always go wrong the day before - its the way it is racing -

i would look into buying a bike that conforms to the type of racing you are looking at and that would be a club racing org - that knows the rules and what is available

Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Good advice providing an acceptable course of action, thank you.