Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
markmontana
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA

An old guy down the street is selling off a bunch of his stuff and asked if I'd buy this from him. I have a lot of bikes so he thought I'd like it.

If you think it's worth somewhere around $8k- let me know. I see lots of WLA's for around 4500 - 6500- but this one is sure cherry- and runs like new.

Here's what he says:

1942 WLA modified to WL styling. Started life as a WWII Military Bike. Found in Australia in a crate and shipped back home to the USA and cleaned up brought back to life. Current owner purchased it in 1998 with 5 original miles. Now has 700 original miles. Comes with two Corbin saddles; a single saddle and a buddy saddle with a helper spring.

I'm mostly concerned that it's some cobbled up re-creation with a new speedo or some other weird issue- so that's why I'm asking and hoping there are some experts out there with an opinion!

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA-image2.jpg   Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA-image4.jpg   Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA-image1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:07 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

lots and lots of after market chrome stuff on it - 10 is a number on the east coast that is up and down depending on condition -

i sold a real WLA 7 series 2 years ago for 18,000 with 800 original miles

Attached Thumbnails Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA-cimg0727.jpg   Looking for opinion of value 1942 WLA-cimg0726.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 10:26 AM
markmontana
1st Gear

Hey thanks. He says it's got a leaking gas tank- just started dripping. Not so sure I want something that has a lot of aftermarket stuff on it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,916 Likes on 2,560 Posts

I bought a 1946 in November, under $10k. As Johnjzjz said, $10k is about the number in the East. But the question is how much of it is original HD and what is aftermarket. Clearly the bike itself is not original because it started life looking like the picture Johnjzjz posted.

The other big questions are what does the VIN on the motor look like and does it have a title. Army bikes sometimes left without a VIN number, then they were assigned numbers later. Or other odd scenarios, it was war time. Post a picture of the VIN if you have one.

And a real Title, not a bill of sale or other DMV questionable paperwork. A guy on Ebay is selling a bike with a title, but to a BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles) stamped VIN number, not stamped at the factory. This will be very challenging at your local DMV.

Assuming a real title, and it runs and rides and does everything it is supposed to do, $10k-ish is your ball park. No title is worth (-$1K) for sure, DMV can be a bear.

Last edited by Architect; 04-28-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:25 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by markmontana

Here's what he says:

1942 WLA modified to WL styling. Started life as a WWII Military Bike. Found in Australia in a crate and shipped back home to the USA and cleaned up brought back to life. Current owner purchased it in 1998 with 5 original miles. Now has 700 original miles. Comes with two Corbin saddles; a single saddle and a buddy saddle with a helper spring.

I'm mostly concerned that it's some cobbled up re-creation with a new speedo or some other weird issue- so that's why I'm asking and hoping there are some experts out there with an opinion!
It's aftermarket speedo so the mileage(and probably the rest of the story) is BS. If it has a valid title that says Harley on it...it would be worth the 8k you were asking about...with the leaking gas tank you should be able to get it cheap...lol

Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markmontana
Here's what he says:

[I]1942 WLA modified to WL styling. Started life as a WWII Military Bike. Found in Australia in a crate and shipped back home to the USA and cleaned up brought back to life. Current owner purchased it in 1998 with 5 original miles. Now has 700 original miles.
That sets off real alarm bells to me. I have been dinking around with 42WLAs for more than 40 years and have heard the " military Harleys in crate" myth over and over again. But have never seen one, or met anyone that seen one, let alone got one. It's an urban myth.

My old man bought one in the crate - but that was in 1948.

Your photos show nothing that would lead one to believe it was a low mileage WLA. The repop speedo is a giveaway as said already. The original would have had an olive green speedo face and the Harley Davidson bar and shield logo on it.

IT looks like it has been totally apart and over-chromed. So it is not a cherry unmolested bike by any means. Jugs had to come off to get those chrome tappet covers in there, or at least the heads. Gearbox had to be pulled apart to get that chrome end cover on there.

And those fenders just do not look right to me. Wrong curve. The front fender sticks way too far up at the front. Rear sticks out at the back all wrong too. And the fender skirts of course would not have been on a WLA, but they look the wrong shape so I am thinking the both fenders are repops.

Primary cover is later than 42WLA, maybe servicar or something? Footboards are rubber, not the steel military inserts.

And on the tank, the fuel tap is not WLA. And the gear shift lever with the ball that sticks out to the side I have never seen on an Australian issue WLA. I think they were later issue. Plus, there is no steering damper, which would have been stock on a WLA. Bars are not WLA.

Overall I can't spot one piece that identifies as unique to WLA. Why would someone buy a new military Harley in the crate, then pull it apart and eradicate every last shred of evidence that it ever was a military model? Sure, plenty of them got made up to look like civvy WLs back in the day, but there were always telltale remnants of milspec parts on them.

So its value is as a rider, depending on the condition of the engine and gearbox etc etc. It might well still make a great bike to chuff around on. Looks like it is generally tidy enough. And sounds like his price is in the ballpark in the US.

But I would not pay over the regular market price for it on the assumption it was either low miles or collectible.

Is the engine stamped with 42WLA numbers?

Last edited by Hopper; 06-19-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:47 PM
markmontana
1st Gear

I appreciate all the feedback and the time you took to do it. If I do get back up there I will take some pics of the VIN etc just to share with you.