Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

1946 WL Solo

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,919 Likes on 2,562 Posts
Default 1946 WL Solo

So I have been talking about the '46 WL I bought in the fall, but have not really posted anything about the bike. Here we go:

Here is how she looked when we bought her in November. We bought the bike for a good price with the knowledge that we were only getting a Bill of Sale and the transmission was pretty much toast. We got lucky and the previous owner could not get it started, that helped with negotiations:

It only took me a couple of days to get the bike started, ran well, held an idle and all of that. Transmission was a no go, third gear only. NYS DMV took a couple of trips but we now have a clear NYS Title. Since then, the goofy bicycle front wheel is gone and the transmission has been rebuilt. I also mounted the front fender and scored a nice front wheel from Ebay. I have also been spending time blacking out alot of the chrome as a '46 should be a plain Jane. This works well for me as I tend to black out my bikes, this time it is to be Factory Stock!!!

We did clutch gear, high shifter clutch, 2nd gear, 1st gear, kicker gear, shifter forks and tripper bolts. Plus all the little things in between. 1st and 2nd were NOS, scored one at AMCA meet in Daytona and the other on Ebay. The rest aftermarket but made in USA except kicker gear. The picture in the Palmer restoration book that shows what a messed up high shifter clutch looks like, mine was worse!!

Yesterday everything got buttoned up and we went for our first ride!!! It was a good day. Transmission worked perfectly, bike runs well. Had to keep it short, 30 year old tires with dry rot not so good for long rides. New tires are in hand, rebuilding the hubs and then mounting new tires and good to go for a decent ride.

Big thanks to Johnjzjz for all of his support and information. Many a time he calmed me down and told what needed to happen next. Couldn't have gotten it done or kept my sanity with out his help.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Chrisfarms715
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it dude it's a really nice looking bike.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:10 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, she's lookin' good.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

sweet
good decision about the front wheel/tire

Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

New sneakers:

Not sure if the front fender is staying off or going back on. Did about 15 miles yesterday including a stint on the highway. Pleasantly surprised I was not eating rocks the entire time. It just might stay off.

Replica Firestones are hot, just what the bike needed.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:46 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,483 Posts

This is one of the best articles re: hub rebuild

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2009...ble-wheel-hub/

Old 05-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I saw that article when I was doing the hubs. All good until you do not have the nice fancy dial indicator to check for end play. Still a great DIY article.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Here she is out and about. Did a short 20 mile put on Saturday, no problems. Sunday went to my mothers to show her the bike and do some work at her place, she had not seen it yet. Then I took a nice 45 minute back road ride to one of the local hangouts. Saw some people I know and had a nice afternoon, then took the very long way home, about an hour and twenty minutes. Everything doing what is supposed to do, I am very happy with my lil' Red 45 this morning.

Quick funny, when I pulled up couple of guys were hanging in front talking about a tasty Shovel, one guy owned it. Apparently what was said as I was pulling in was "so much for you having the coolest bike here!" They came over to talk about bikes and told me the story, good times.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 PM
wildside41
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WL

Had the same bike 10 years ago. Really miss it. Nice job on the old 45.
Len

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Well we have been accepted to be racers at The Race of Gentlemen in Wildwood NJ:

http://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/

We attended as spectators last year and it was the catalyst for getting a Flathead in the first place. To enter you must have a 1947 or older American made bike, tank shift, cars have to be even older. Check the website for the rules. I had not mentioned it here until I was sure my bike would make the cut to race on the sand. It is an informal event, no AMA Vintage racing for sure, but a lot of fun. So we will be there in October. The bike in race trim:

That picture is form last month when we put our entry into the organizers. My wife hand painted the numbers, they came out really cool. Couple of other things done since then, in particular a rear pipe hanger. Not expecting to be the fastest, just hoping not to be the slowest. They had some badass Knuckles running the sand last year, not sure if my Twin Cam would keep up with them.

This is going to be fun........

Quick Reply: 1946 WL Solo