Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

1961 Service Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Cal516
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1961 Service Car

I am in the process of restoring a 1961 Servi-Car. It has been a while since I have had the time to work on it and since then my main source for parts and info has gone out of business..Antique Cycle Supply..Lonnie was my point of contact. Does anyone have any recommendations for another company. I recently stumbled upon this website:

http://www.45restoration.com/Default.aspx

Has anyone worked with them or have any information on them?

Thank you in advance....

Last edited by Cal516; 08-11-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

[QUOTE=Cal516;14285273]I am in the process of restoring a 1961 Service Car. It has been a while since I have had the time to work on it and since then my main source for parts and info has gone out of business..Antique Cycle Supply..Lonnie was my point of contact. Does anyone have any recommendations for another company. I recently stumbled upon this website:

http://www.45restoration.com/Default.aspx

Has anyone worked with them or have any information on them?

Thank you in advance....[/QUOTE

i was lied to when asked if what they were selling in brake shoes was a V Twin part ( cheap china junk ) they told me no it was USA - i already order and got the china shoes from v twin - the exact same box and parts came at twice the cost -- your choice to use them - would not take the shoes back i through them away

google search 45 bikes and parts e blows has lots of v twin just so you know so does every one else - i was screwed by harbor vintage in VT on a set of cams they belt sanded to take the rust off but they did in the end take them back but i payed the shipping back again your choice to use them

going to an AMCA event and actually looking at what you are buying is the best way - used and some OEM new in the box is always available - jefferson IN PA is small but good event for 45 stuff OCT 2 and 3 maybe

Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

45 Restoration is OK, customer service is slow but fair.

Flatlands/45 Parts Depot is better at returning calls/emails but they screwed me on a part and I am a little pissed off at them right now. New WRTT tail pipe, I specifically emailed them to see if it was painted, because I knew the supplier and could have bought it direct from him unpainted. They say yes it comes painted and I pay the premium for a finished product. It shows up with runs, paper stuck to it etc. They tell me read the fine print, it is just a coating for shipping so it doesn't rust. I tell them I expected a finished product since I asked the question and no one said "yeh painted but only for shipping". Still trying to get a small credit out of them, don't think it is going to happen. PS they list on the website if the part is made in USA or Europe which is nice. If it says nothing, China.

These guys have some stuff, but have not used them:

http://aaok.com/

I also bought a cut down rear fender from Germany, great price and good customer service via email, fender showed up in less than a week:

http://www.wwag.com/

If you look around there are some other guys doing more exotic things but these seem to be the guys that have everything, even if it came from China. Here is a good set of links as well:

http://www.dl45homepage.com/links.html

Besides that, Ebay can be your friend or enemy if looking for OEM/NOS parts. Lots of army surplus still floating around for the 45's. As an example, my brake shoes were surplus, came in the cosmoline with the rivets and less $$$ than any of the websites listed above with China crap.

And as John said, swap meets always work, but you need to be patient. When I rebuilt my transmission I sourced from almost everything listed above. One gear from a swap meet (NOS), one from Ebay, reproduction gears from Flatlands and seals/gasket from 45.

Good luck and post some pictures, we all like pictures.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Cal516
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the info and contacts....here are some pictures....

Attached Thumbnails 1961 Service Car-dsc00708.jpg  
Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking bike.
EBay NOS factory parts are the best bet. All the others are a crap shoot as to whether the parts you buy will actually work or are Chinese junk made to look like Harley parts in order to get your money.