Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

In need of some advice WLA / WLC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Opentraffic
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some advice WLA / WLC

Hi guys. My name is Pete. Im a complete nubie to vintage Harley's but have always liked the WLA's since seeing one at a show many years ago.

Recently i I have purchased a '1943 WLA' from a motorcycle company in Europe.

On recieving the motorcycle in the UK and studying the documents it seems that not all is well.

The engine clearly shows a WLA number but the Dutch reg document from 1951 states the bike is in fact a WLC with a WLC engine number and has a 4 digit frame number. This frame number matches the reg document but of course the engine number does not.

Feeling a little miffed as I purchased the bike as an investment I am seeking some advice.
I feel that these numbers not matching will make the bike far less valuable.
Am I right in thinking this?
Or is this fairly common with vintage Harley's?

Thank you very much in advance for any guidance.

Pete

Old 09-27-2016, 07:52 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the WLA was built from1940 to 1945 then again 1949 to 1952

the canadian army WLC was built only 1942 and 1943

the dutch also had a version WLH 1950 only

in 1962 harley had anti theft numbers on frames and parts NOT before that i have documentation on

so a normal harley would read left side center of the engine block -- 41 WLA 1001 -- or as you have 43 WLC 1001 no other number should be an identification number

first two numbers are the year

the letters are the model

the remaining numbers is its build number

under the engine on both sides is the engine case matching sides numbering system used for machining matched sides sometimes that carry the same number as the left side center engine number SOMEtimes

Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Opentraffic
Stage III

Hi John, thank you for your reply.

As you say, it does have a 42WLA0000 engine number on the centre left of the block.

It also has a four digit number stampted on the frame, left side just in front of the seat tube. From doing a little research it seems that the Canadian government stamped these numbers when the bikes where in for service. These four numbers being the last four of the 'then present' engine number!

If those 4 numbers were not there I wouldn't question it but they match the 1951 Dutch reg document.
Just seems a shame as I was sold a WLA.
In fact I wouldn't mind if it was a WLC as long as it had a WLC engine number. Or is it unrare that replacement WLA engines where fitted and it won't effect the bikes value too much?

Cheers
Pete

Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

no telling what went on during combat in europe any thing could and was done like the US army giving engines to the other services - but crate engines had no numbers except the bottom machining ones it was not important then

my guess its a replacement engine OR it was serviced by a WLC depot and re numbered in that system as they may have found it on the road and fixed it - no info was ever kept that i have seen

i had a 70,000 engine numbered WLA that was never commissioned as it was 300 from the last one built with 400 miles on it when i sold it for 18,500 5 or 6 years ago

Old 09-29-2016, 03:37 AM
Opentraffic
Stage III

Hi John, thanks again for the info.

My troubles are that the company have advertised and sold me a WLA but when the bike arrived it was invoiced as a WLC with an original Dutch logbook from 1951 also stating it is a WLC.
I contacted the company yesterday and they are bluntly claiming that it is a WLA as it has a WLA engine in it. But why invoice the WLC?
I really don't mind which type it was but would have liked a matching engine. I just can't understand where this company is coming from.

By your last comment are you saying that it really doesn't matter about the numbers as long as the bike isn't made up of pattern parts?
I hope I haven't been landed with a dud

Thanks again
Pete

Old 09-29-2016, 03:00 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Pete,
you should get yourself book "How to restore your military Harley Davidson"
by Bruce Palmer. This book explains all about Milit.HD from 1932 R model , through
WLA, WLC, etc up to 1952 WLA. You can find there everything about motor numbers,
crankcase production numbers, proper colors, parts etc for every particular year, model
etc.
If your bike has WLA motor and WLC papers you might have problems to register it
in your jurisdiction, also the value as a investment will be lower because of this fact.
I don't know if you can still return this bike to the seller?
Holland is the center of the trade in older, military and civilian Harleys, and if some unscrupulous guy has just engine cases ,he will built a bike around it. You can buy
there most of the parts for WLAs, maybe except engine cases and tranny cases, but they are manufactured today, they are replicas.
I hope it's not your case.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Pete, welcome to the forum. The bike may have been invoiced as a WLC because it may have been registered as a WLC at some stage. In Europe some countries require a frame number on bikes that didn’t originally have one and the bike is then registered by that frame number.

Does the engine number look authentic (factory-stamped)? If you're not sure, you could post a partial photo and cover the last few characters if you’re concerned about it being shown on the net. All WLAs for 1942–1945 were originally stamped 42WLA. But belly numbers under each case half could begin with 41, 42, 43, 44 or 45. A partial photo of the belly numbers may also help.

For WLCs, Modification Instruction No 1 from the Canadian Army covered the stamping of the engine (serial) number on the frame. Is this instruction sheet what you found through your research? If not, you may find it via Google but if you can’t locate it let me know. Frames are often stamped where you say but I’ve seen frames stamped on the rear tubing also. I had thought however that the entire engine number would be stamped on the frame—for example, 42WLC1234. But you only have a four-digit number?

Also look for casting ID on the transmission case. On the R-H side you should find an oil filler spout and under it you may find casting number 121-41. Next to that you may find a casting date code consisting of a letter and a number. This code may be on a small rectangular plate that is cast-in. Let us know what you find.
Eric

Old 10-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,921 Likes on 2,564 Posts

All good answers and info have been provided to you. I would like to add for clarification that your bike did not leave Milwaukee with frame numbers. (Accept forging numbers in the castings). So what ever you are seeing was done after initial construction. This may not be a bad thing, just may add to the story of the history of your bike. Palmer books are a must, they will explain a lot of the numbers you are seeing.

My question to the seller is why did he sell it as a WLC when the VIN clearly indicates WLA? Their explanation may go a long way to solving the mystery. Good luck and we love pictures.

Old 01-30-2023, 08:49 PM
45Brit2021
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Old thread but... there's a Canadian Army service sheet showing stamping the engine number on the rear frame, right side, by the cross member. I've seen several WLC numbered like that.

WL models sold in UK were usually stamped with the engine number on the seat post. This is a common place for frame numbers on British bikes. Most WL were sold off in large job lots to a few dealers - principally Fred Warr but also Pride and Clarke, who registetrd them in batches.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:35 AM
tasturbo86
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Take a peek at this web site for some WLC details. Maybe you can determine what the frame is.
http://www.theliberator.be/liberator6.htm