Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

WLA versus WL

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
mjmckee53
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WLA versus WL

My family has had a 1942 Harley flathead (see attached photo) since 1962. The title indicates that it is a WLA, but it looks more like a WL (civilian model) to me.Sincethe serial number goes with the engine in these old Harleys, not the frame, the title could be misleading. Do any readers know if this is a WLA or a civilian model? Could it be a WLA frame converted to a WL? I want to beaccurate in my desciptions of the bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50568/17360B9D6E254C659B6E8A47CF163825.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
johnnysurf1
Novice
Default RE: WLA versus WL

the bike looks to be a civilian wl model,you have had it a long time,if your vin stamped on the engine is a wla,then the bike was an army model,bought and converted,easy to do.lot's could have happened before you got it,engine put in different frame etc.what matters is you have a legal registration for a wla.if you plan to just ride it have fun,if you want a genuine restoration,then more research is necessary.there are numerous resources available,on line and at the library.research can be fun

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
mjmckee53
6th Gear

Thanks. Very helpful. So it is aWLA converted to look like a WL.In Missouri, I can get new title issued that keeps the original VIN # but indicates that theengine has been changed from the original. I am thinking of selling the bike and want to make sure I don't mislead any potential buyers. Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
johnnysurf1
Novice

what are the first three letters of the vin stampped on the engine left number boss? also if you take a mirror can you read the two belly numbers?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 PM
mjmckee53
6th Gear

The vin# on the title is 42WLA26954. The vin# on the current engine is 42T21338 on the raised flat part of the engine (normal place for vin#). Just behind the raised area (towards the rear of the bike)WLA is etched into the casing. These numbers seem to have been etched almost freehandas the spacing varies and the numbers are not aligned straight up and down.

I do not know where the belly numbers are located. The bottom of the crankcase?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
johnnysurf1
Novice

yes, they are hard to read because the bike is low,to read mine i had to lean it way over.the belly #'s indicate the year of the motor somewhat.for a '42 they may be from'41 to '43,the first 2 are the year the rest have no particular meaning except they should be identical.this means they were fitted at the factory[line bored]if they are different,as in my bikes case,the engine halfs were pieced together.no big deal,except all these things mean money in a sale to a purist. it appears your bike has had an engine changed and not recorded on the title. i don't know what a 42t is.it may have been blank replacement cases hand numbered.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
mjmckee53
6th Gear

Okay. I checkedthe belly numbers and found 43-XXXXX. Since it does not match the other number, it is further indication of considerable post-manufacture modifications. I conclude that the title is probably correct and that this is a 42 WLA. It has been converted to look like a WL by adding gas tank with chrome band and harley emblem and the full fenders. In addition it has had the original engine replaced.

This makes itmore difficult to determine an appropriate price should I sell it. I will just be straight forward to let the potential buyer know the title status. It runs good, good body andnewly painted. Any wild idea as to a price range?

Thanks again for your help. Do your ride yours much?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 AM
johnnysurf1
Novice

yes i think your correct,it looks to be a nice bike and all together.the number thing would be a problem in ca. where i live as the chp checks harleys real well for engine matching vin #'s.if you can get the reg. straightened out it would be worth your while.here they would assign a special construction blue sticker to your frame.again this only matters to a purist.my '42 wla is a frisco style chopper.i bought it as a bobber in '63 when i was in high school,rode it to school and chopped it before i was drafted.i ride it every day.enjoy your bike ,they are cool.....johnny

[IMG]local://upfiles/47827/81C9254F63B44F9F948BF1C24B878DFE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
mjmckee53
6th Gear

Thanks for all your help. My brother was in nam but I was a few years behind. Nice looking bike. Thanks again.

Mike in Missouri

Old 04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
tnails
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'T' designation in you number set stands for "touring" and seems to be a pretty rare. Great bike!

Quick Reply: WLA versus WL