Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

I'm probably wrong but suicide shifter? Really

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM
wbohart1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm probably wrong but suicide shifter? Really

I own a 1934 74ci VLD (flathead) Harley Davidson. I hear people who should know just what makes this style of clutch (not the shift) seem to be suicide. This is what I know after 53 years of being around this 1934 VLD. 1, It's not the shift. 2, It is the clutch. 3, Has anyone who talks about the "suicide" ever rode one? 4, I would have to guess NOT! Please understand this type of clutch is seemingly suicide. If one forgets he has his bike in 1st gear while sitting at a red light, or other intersection stopped. If you remove your foot off the clutch (again, while in gear) the friction plates will be wet (at some point) and the clutch will engage and launch you and bike into traffic. Coining the word "suicide" So with all this in mind my Father who shipped this VLD from Germany after WWII (1944) always called it the "Suicide Clutch". Was he wrong or what is the deal? Please correct me and give me reasons why I am (if I am) wrong about this term. "Suicide clutch", Not "Suicide shift" Thank you Gentlemen.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
lonescaper
1st Gear

I dont have near your years of experience but I ride a 1949 servi-car and have always assumed it was suicide shift because you have to let go of the bars to shift thus having less control of the bike, but your version makes more sense . I'm a convert ! Suicide clutch it is .

Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM
NickNico
Novice
Default Suicide Clutch - It Depends

I'm glad you brought this up.
Here's the deal on the term "Suicide Clutch". The original "rocker" style clutch has friction plates so you can disengage the clutch by pushing your heal down on the clutch rocker and it will STAY disengaged.
You can even set how much friction it has. You can push your heal down and stop with BOTH feet on the ground.

Well what happened is that as guys were modifing their bikes, bobbing, chopping, etc they would strip down the mechanism so that all there was, was a peddle . . . that was spring loaded (remember a clutch is spring loaded). So now when you came to a stop you couldn't just push your heal on the rocker and have the clutch stay DIS-engaged. You had to push the clutch peddle in and hold it there.
NOW if you messed up (with one foot off the ground) and lost your balance, if your foot came off the cluth peddle or whatever, the peddle of course popped out, engaged the clutch and ouch . . . I mean, ZOOOOOM, off you went . . . or down you went.

So, without the friction plates to hold your clutch in (disengaged) it became the Suicide Clutch. Over time and bastardization it became common for all foot clutches and tank shifts to be called suicide, at least to those who were not familiar. PLUS, hey, it sounded cool and bad *** "yeah, I ride with a Suicide Clutch!!!"

Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
adjusterr
Novice
Default "Suicide Clutch"

NickNico nailed it. What many people refer to as a "Suicide Clutch" is actually a rocker clutch. The modified rocker clutch,(sucide clutch), had to be held in by your foot. If you had to take your foot off the clutch for any reason, your were launched forward...too bad!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
wbohart1
2nd Gear

Will Nick and Adjusterr, Looks like we agree That the term "Suicide Clutch" is the correct term. Reasons are very close. I can tell you even non modified rocker foot peddle clutch w/new friction plates and new springs will engage at some point. (wet, tight adjustment, Or otherwise) could be just dumb luck? The safest bet is to be sure you use the "neutral" selection on your shift gate while stopped. Now, I would guess to try and correct those who misuse this term would be feudal. Thank you for your input and y'all have a safe ride, Be seen. Live hard, ride hard. ride to live. live to ride. Keep your knees in the breeze, head in the wind and sun on your back. Do your loved ones a favor and sport your jack in the box look, ware your skid lid. It's not all about you! Be kind to our neighbors and Midasize the exhaust. It's about the tune not the tone.... Be aware of your surroundings, Safety is our responsibility!
Oh and BTW, Thank you lonescaper. W/your help maybe we can correct the misuse of the term "Suicide Clutch"NOT "Suicide Shift" My self, I remove one hand off the bars to scratch that itch, give hand signals (turn left, right. stop) long rides just to rest one arm or the other. And the helmet and exhaust thing are "suggestion only" no more, no less. I support and respect the right to choose. We have enough laws shoved up our a$$.

Last edited by wbohart1; 10-18-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suicide clutch is the term I always heard from the older generation.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
wbohart1
2nd Gear

Spot on Gdawg, That's what I'm saying. I think the "Old school" Gentlemen would know. Plus My Dad always tried his very best to point me in the correct direction. I'm staying w/ "Suicide Clutch" I truly believe this is the correct term. Thank you.

Just read the air cooled Motor Heat issue, Will, Gas Is Engine! not motor. and yes they do get HOT! duh! What next, God? The SUN IS TOO HOT..... Here is an idea.... Call 1-800-CRY-BABY.... Give me a brake?... sorry guys that is my rant for the day i'm outta here....

Last edited by wbohart1; 10-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:37 PM
blwcapped
Advanced
Default My 2 centa

The term "suicide" is associated with clutch, just as described before this. I put a Jockey Shifter (off the tank and set near seat on frame) on a 45, me and a buddy put together. It had a suicide clutch, due to foot controls from a 3 wheeler (servi-car). In the late sixties the die hard bikers ran a suicide clutch, jockey shifter, open primary and no front brake. These 4 things made your ride more dangerous according to talk. Oh, and in 1972 California no helmet. Ahhh the good ol'days.

Thanks for the chat.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 AM
crownptcharlie
Stage I
Default I may be wrong but...

Back in the day here in Indiana you either had a rocker(heel slow-toe to go) or suicide(push&hold) clutch. This has been well discussed here.
I may be opening a can'o'worms here but, with either system you might have a TANK SHIFT the stock HD style setup, a SLAP STICK mounted in the same place as a standard shift but using a ratchet top trans, locally I believe a JOCKEY SHIFT was bolted directly to the actuating arm of a ratchet top transmission or, and it has been many years, If someone ran a short handle direct to a non-ratchet trans that may have been the suicide shift.
I have never seen this on a running bike, but seem to recall one on a servicar.
Any corrections, clarifications or regional differences?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
aussiewill
Stage III
Default help

[quote=NickNico;8898814]I'm glad you brought this up.
Here's the deal on the term "Suicide Clutch". The original "rocker" style clutch has friction plates so you can disengage the clutch by pushing your heal down on the clutch rocker and it will STAY disengaged.
You can even set how much friction it has. You can push your heal down and stop with BOTH feet on the ground.

Well what happened is that as guys were modifing their bikes, bobbing, chopping, etc they would strip down the mechanism so that all there was, was a peddle . . . that was spring loaded (remember a clutch is spring loaded). So now when you came to a stop you couldn't just push your heal on the rocker and have the clutch stay DIS-engaged. You had to push the clutch peddle in and hold it there.
NOW if you messed up (with one foot off the ground) and lost your balance, if your foot came off the cluth peddle or whatever, the peddle of course popped out, engaged the clutch and ouch . . . I mean, ZOOOOOM, off you went . . . or down you went.

So, without the friction plates to hold your clutch in (disengaged) it became the Suicide Clutch. Over time and bastardization it became common for all foot clutches and tank shifts to be called suicide, at least to those who were not familiar. PLUS, hey, it sounded cool and bad *** "yeah, I ride with a Suicide Clutch!!!"
[/quote hey im looking for a foot sucide clutch conversion kit for my 2006 sportster i really dont want the widowmaker conversion i want foot cluch with hade change stick ant ideas where i can get on ive looked everywhere on the net with no luck im building a 70 style chopper sportster in a custom rigid frame and springer front help help help thank u

Quick Reply: I'm probably wrong but suicide shifter? Really