Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Can't Start Flathead, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM
NickNico
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Start Flathead, Need Help!

I could use some suggestions. I’ve always prided myself in being able to get anything started over the years but I am stuck.
I have a 1947 WL 45. Sitting for over a year. Pretty good shape, original condition. I haven’t been able to get it started. Here’s what I’ve done:
Cleaned out gas tank (not much in there) put in new gas.
Cleaned gas filter, not much crud, a little.
It has a new shut off valve. I took it apart, followed fuel to carb to make sure it has flow. It does.
It has compression.
It has spark at the plugs (took each out and checked for spark) and points. Gap in each is good.
Checked valve/tappet clearance.
Battery is charged & lights (including brake light) work.
Float in carb was stuck. Not any crud in bowl but float did not swivel on float pin/fingers.
Now float works and float valve opens and shuts gas off.
Low speed adjustment is 3 turns out . . . I’ve tried to start it with 4 & 5 turns out.
High speed needle is 2 turns out.
When I kick to prime (tried 3 kicks, 4, 5) with full choke I get gas at the carb (I wipe it down with a rag ‘cause I’ve had small flames at the carb, yikes,). I kick with dist advanced (turned full clockwise . . . tried no advance, half advance, etc) I get a pop, sometimes a good loud pa pop.
That’s it. Never a double or triple pop like she’s gonna catch. It’s been a month now, dang. I have to be missing something!!
I’m getting gas when I prime it. So much that I wipe with a rag to prevent a flame there. My next step is to take the rest of the carb apart and check passages. I kind of anticipated that suggestion. Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated . . . thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM
harleyjohn45
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickNico
I could use some suggestions. I’ve always prided myself in being able to get anything started over the years but I am stuck.
I have a 1947 WL 45. Sitting for over a year. Pretty good shape, original condition. I haven’t been able to get it started. Here’s what I’ve done:
Cleaned out gas tank (not much in there) put in new gas.
Cleaned gas filter, not much crud, a little.
It has a new shut off valve. I took it apart, followed fuel to carb to make sure it has flow. It does.
It has compression.
It has spark at the plugs (took each out and checked for spark) and points. Gap in each is good.
Checked valve/tappet clearance.
Battery is charged & lights (including brake light) work.
Float in carb was stuck. Not any crud in bowl but float did not swivel on float pin/fingers.
Now float works and float valve opens and shuts gas off.
Low speed adjustment is 3 turns out . . . I’ve tried to start it with 4 & 5 turns out.
High speed needle is 2 turns out.
When I kick to prime (tried 3 kicks, 4, 5) with full choke I get gas at the carb (I wipe it down with a rag ‘cause I’ve had small flames at the carb, yikes,). I kick with dist advanced (turned full clockwise . . . tried no advance, half advance, etc) I get a pop, sometimes a good loud pa pop.
That’s it. Never a double or triple pop like she’s gonna catch. It’s been a month now, dang. I have to be missing something!!
I’m getting gas when I prime it. So much that I wipe with a rag to prevent a flame there. My next step is to take the rest of the carb apart and check passages. I kind of anticipated that suggestion. Any other suggestions? Any help would be appreciated . . . thanks.
If you are getting gas and fire, it seems it might be out of time. Has anyone been messing around inside the cam cover. Was the bike running recently? Also did you blow thru all the passages in the carb.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if it has been sitting, carb and points are always the first thing to check..if it has spark,carb is next.it doesn't take much to plug the idle circuit especially with the crap gas they are selling now

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If someone has been in the cam cover, one of the cams could be out of time. I had this on my 45 flathead on newly rebuilt motor. I would kick it and get flame out of carb. One cam was several teeth out of time.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 PM
NickNico
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff . . . I'll do the carb circuts this weekend. j1mmy, I was trying to take a shortcut and not blow out the passages . . . go figure. Cam cover doesn't look to ever have been off but you never know. If blowin' through the carb circuits doesn't help (along with the starter fluid & new plugs I just bought) I'll have to break down and check the cam gear alignment. It sure doesn't look like anyone's been in there for oh what . . . the last 60 years or so

Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 PM
harleyjohn45
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NickNico
Good stuff . . . I'll do the carb circuts this weekend. j1mmy, I was trying to take a shortcut and not blow out the passages . . . go figure. Cam cover doesn't look to ever have been off but you never know. If blowin' through the carb circuits doesn't help (along with the starter fluid & new plugs I just bought) I'll have to break down and check the cam gear alignment. It sure doesn't look like anyone's been in there for oh what . . . the last 60 years or so
I would say the cams are ok. When I start mine, I choke the bike and kick it over 3 times with the key off, then I leave the choke 1 click on and turn the key on and it usually starts. When you find the problem it will be really simple.
I'll bet its a carb problem of some type.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

blowing out the carb doesnt always clean it.. you have to trace where each port goes.spray carb cleaner through and look for it to come out the other side..a lot of times you have to run a wire through the passages..for the idle circuits unravel a piece of electrical wire. use one of the tiny strands to clear the jet out.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the gas coming out of carb blowing out and have you had flame out of carb. This is why my guess of bad cam timing. If one intake value is out of time, it will blow gas and possible flame out of carb on compression stroke. I am guessing you have Linkert carb. Take apart, soak, and blow out with air. If it has brass float, throw float away and replace with one of new gas resistant type floats.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Do you stand the bike upright? The reason I ask is because with the carb being on the left side,I have a flathead and a few other bikes and have noticed our maybe just in my head that they seem to start better when they are upright..If you are sure that you have spark,remove the A/C and put some gas in a spray bottle.Open the choke and throttle plate and spray some gas in the carb and see what happens..Sometimes when my old bikes sit for a long time they will sump..This makes it hard to start..Good Luck..

Last edited by Captain Itch; 10-31-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:38 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you put new capacitor? It won't start with bad one, but you still have a spark on plugs.
Also, sometimes velves rust inside guides and are suspended, when you start it backfires into carb, but u said velve clearences were ok,just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Can't Start Flathead, Need Help!