Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
HarleyWLA1944
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts

Good morning,

I am new to this forum as I've just recently purchased a beautifully restored Harley WLA from 1944. I've been driving Harleys for most of my life but I am new to the flatheads. So, please accept my appologies for any "rookie" type questions.

Been driving the WLA for about 100 miles and now the first weak spots show up.

The following leaks have occured and I would like, before I unwrap all my tools, ask for your experience and wisdom on gas and oil leaks on a WLA.

1.) Dripping gas from petrol filter lower cap
There is gas dripping from the lower cap of the petrol filter (see photo). Inside the cap there is a cork gasket but obviously it does not do a good job.
Questions: Are there any recommandations as to any other kind of gasket? Or should I simply tighten the nut super-tight? I have already changed the fuel tap as the initial fuel tap leaked as well.

2.) Dripping oil from the metal oil lines / linkages
There is oil dripping from almost every metal oil line at the linkages.
Questions: Are there any gaskets within the linkages that I could replace? Or is this simply a matter of re-tightening all linkages?
Furhtermore: Would you advocate using "Loctite 542" and put it on the thread prior to screwing on the linkage to avoid these oil leaks?

3.) Oil splashes on cylinder head
There are a number of oil splashes on the cylinder head. Cannot say for sure where they come from. Either the oil comes from the linkage to the oil tank as mentioned in question two. Or could there be oil coming out of the cylinder heads where the cylinder head bracket is being mounted?

4.) Dripping oil from the transmission/kicker arm
There is also oil dripping from the transmission / gear box and I am under the impression that this oil comes out of the hole where the axle from the kicker arm goes into the gear box.
Question:
Any idea how to solve this problem?

Looking forward to receiving all your ideas on this leakge posting. Your support is greatly being appreciated.

Matt

Attached Thumbnails Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts-dsc_4293.jpg   Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts-dsc_4294.jpg   Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts-dsc_4295.jpg   Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts-dsc_4296.jpg   Leaks, leaks, leaks - tech questions for Harley WLA WLC WL experts-dsc_4297.jpg  

Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
I'm not any expert on WLA , but I spent my teenage years with them.
First of all about oil lines.
From what I see on the picture I think they are aftermarket. So they are not
manufactured as a factory ones. You have to grind the inside part of the oil line that
touches a nipple on the oil tank or on the scavenger pump or side pump. If it doesn't
work, and oil still leaks use some oil resistant silicone to seal those spots.
Gas filter- if it leaks it means that gas tank valve is not working. Eather ,it's old and
rusted inside, or new and not manufactured properly. Simply it doesn't shut the flow
of gasoline,another aftermarket junk. Try to tighten the bottom of the gus filter more,
inspect it and maybe change the gasket.
Oil leak from transmision kicker- eather too much oil in transmission or the bushing is
loose.
You can fix all those problems yourself, it just takes time. If you have serious problems
I've guys i n Germany and Austria that can help you. Serious only.
Most of the WLA Harleys sold today in Europe are build from aftermarket parts. Only
frame, gas/oil tanks, engine casings and cylinders, transmission case are original.
The rest of the parts are aftermarket, built in Poland /mostly/ ,Taiwan.
Thera are big companies in Europe and USA that sell those parts. But they are
not as good as original.
Anyway, that's my two cents.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:28 PM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Harley Servicar with same motor/trans and I will take a stab at it. Dripping gas a petcock filter is probably poor aftermarket gasket. Dripping oil at oil lines, mine has original oil lines and they barely stay moist next to fittings, however never drip any oil. I would guess spotting on cylinder heads is oil from lines blowing on them when moving. Leaking at trans kicker arm, I would guess trans is overfilled and wrong type oil. You need to be running 50-60 weight fossil oil in trans and motor (same in both), drain trans and refill to measured volumne (need an owners manual to do this). You can get copy of Army maintenance manual for cheap price from most 45 retailers or Ebay. Several good flathead web sites available with fanatic owners and the latest in side value head technology. They are great motors/trans, all kind of fairly cheap parts available, and easy to work on. Get the kinks out and enjoy it.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=busterman2;9674995 Several good flathead web sites available with fanatic owners and the latest in side value head technology. T.[/QUOTE]

Which sites are they?