Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Model WL Tranny Sprocket Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
mbgolden
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model WL Tranny Sprocket Leak

I have replaced the seal behind the sprocket that drives the chain to the back wheel and the tranny oil still leaks out on the exaust. This seems like a weird system that the seal presses into the spinning sprocket and is supposed to seal against the outside of the case while it is spinning! Does anyone have a clue how to stop the leak?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
busterman2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the trans case overfilled? I forgot how many ounces manual shows.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM
mbgolden
Stage II

The manual says to fill the tranny full when the bike is level (not on side stand). It seems like enough has leaked out by now to where it couldn't be overfull anymore anyway though...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
busterman2
Cruiser

I don't have a manual in front of me right now, but my manual (the military manual for WLA's) gives a specific number of ounces. I know the fluid level in the case has to be below the bottom of the bearings on the sprocket side. If I get a chance, I will find my manual and repost finding.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
busterman2
Cruiser

I looked it up and the manual says to put in 3/4 pint. Says to check every 500 miles and to change twice a year in spring and fall.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM
jamesagee1
Stage III

Harley from the early Knucklehead to the end of the Shovelhead era, those types of
transmissions are almost indestructible but have a problem they often leak to the
ground.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM
jamesagee1
Stage III

Harley from the early Knucklehead to the end of the Shovelhead era, those types of
transmissions are almost indestructible but have a problem they often leak to the
ground.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Rusty Harley
Stage I

I have a WLA that i have converted to foot shift, Hyd clutch , belt drive (primary and drive), Kubota alternator, Hyd brakes, mag ignition, - my trans still leaks badly ( especally since I don't need it on my belt) but I will have it apart HOPEFULLY by weeks end and do some sort of seal mod to solve the problem - seems to be from the kick shaft and the sproket output shaft - have any of you guys found a way to seal these two shafts so you get NO LEAKS ? It's not over full ! been considering STP in the trans after I fix the leak . Any suggestions on special seals etc would be welcomed .
Rusty bike

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
slim55g
Advanced

Take your new seal, install& soak overnight in diesel. Then install , of your leaking & you have the proper amount of oil, you need a total overhaul, new bushings etc. & I have never seen a 3 speed with a hyd clutch, & have been building 45s for years, id be interested to see that. If you are running a stock 3speed,it's going to leak, if you stop it from leaking, it's because your out of oil.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Bohemian
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Soaking the seal in diesel will make it swell a little but the real fix is to...
Dissemble tranny again...
Find a Standard Size Viton O-Ring that a groove can be machined for it to ride in; need to get a competent machinist with a lathe/mill to cut the o-ring groove...

That's pretty much the fix for any leaking Pre-Evo H-D Tranny...

Motor Co., Design flaw...

One source of many for Viton O-Rings...
http://www.marcorubber.com/viton.htm

Quick Reply: Model WL Tranny Sprocket Leak