Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

I found a 42 WLA for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM
RONIN8211
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a 42 WLA for sale

Greetings all, this ismy first post and I am looking for all input.

I have always wanted torestore a 42WLA and I am debating on making this purchase. So any help the forum can give will be mostappreciated.

I was finally able to talkto the man on the phone. He sounds olderand would ramble off answering the wrong thing so I had to ask himrepeatedly... So I am not too sure if his info is correct.

He states that it isregistered as a WLA and has matching frame and engine numbers. He said itstarted up 15 years ago and then stored it never getting around to restoring itto its original condition due to his other automobile projects.

His points:

He thinks it will startbut has no idea really.

Has the Military PoliceSpeedometer and the green paint is showing through.

I asked about a photo ofthe Serial number and his response was that he could not get a clear picture,but according to the paperwork is listed as a "WLAXXXX". I'm a littleconcerned as he said that there was no "42" or "45" in frontof the “WLA” vin. I understand that it shouldbe there.

Also I do not believe thatthe frame would have a serial number on it. Unless (and my own speculation) ts is a VIN tag created and attached toit by the DMV. He does not know andstates that it has been stored for the last 15 years.

My questions are: Is it a real WWII 42WLA? or a 45 parts depot recreationof one? And would this be a good buy torestore?

Let me thank you all inadvance for you input.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

i have a 42 WLA and every real one i have ever seen has the 42 than the number

NOTE - mine was built in 1945 as it is a series 7 < 70,000 chassis number and it is 200 from the last one built by harley before the end of production - they also made 30,000 parts bikes in crates < i do not know if they were chassis numbered you could do a google search i have seen some great sites for WLAs - and had another 50,000 units in spair parts sooo ii would only buy a real one if i were you, one that was chassied with a number that can be verified -- we are selling mine it has 500 original miles and was never commissioned -- jz

Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is not right as all the military 45s during the war no matter what year where stamped 42. Buyer beware. I use to ride a WLA about 30 years ago. Then a 1946 U. All Harley s up to the late or mid 70s had the two digit year.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

War time WLAs didn't have frame number,so you can't have matching numbers
with the engine.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by mustasz
War time WLAs didn't have frame number,so you can't have matching numbers
with the engine.
before they had motor and matching frame numbers - in the shops back in the day refered to matching numbers as the left and right cases matched - they have a bottom number -- then during the AMF era the US DOT had harley step up to the plate with many things - jz

Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
before they had motor and matching frame numbers - in the shops back in the day refered to matching numbers as the left and right cases matched - they have a bottom number -- then during the AMF era the US DOT had harley step up to the plate with many things - jz

Yep they did not put frame numbers on till every late 60s or very early 70s. AMP owned most of Harley starting in 68 or 69 and bought them total out in 71 and in 72 was the first year they had AMF on the tank.

Even if the belly numbers match something is not right with the serial numbers if it does not have the two digit year.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 PM
RagsNB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the post is 9 months old but for reference. The WLC which as we know is a Canadian version of the WLA had some serial numbers stamped on the frame. They look the same and over the years people have played with them so some times hard to tell a WLC apart from a WLA. WLCs that had a engine replacement had the original serial number stamped on the frame rear swing arm at the maintenance depot. It would be nice to see the update on how this thread went for the originator.
Rags

Edit in: Also I forgot to add the serial numbers on the case are not all inscribed. the US WLA Army ones all had that 42WLAxxx start but the russian lend lease ones I dont know but what Ive seen of them they are blank. Also it would appear the boxed ones where blank and crate motors where blank. Ive seen a few Russian Lend lease ones with just 4 and 6 Digits no WLA and no 42.
Does anyone know what the Japanese WLAs made after the war looked like for serial numbers? They went under a different name then Harley "Reiki"or something but where actual 45 flats.

Last edited by RagsNB; 05-20-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to address a point in comments i missed.