Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Hiding Forums?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hiding Forums?

If this question has been brought up before, sorry; I did do a search.

Would it be possible to add a feature that would allow users to hide or block particular forums they don't want to see? When I get on this site, the first place I go is the "new posts" link; half the time, all I see are posts in the games forum or off-topic forum. My whole reason for being on this website is to read about Harleys, not guns or politics or games. It sure would be nice not to have to sift through all this irrelevant junk every time I log on.

JL

Old 11-28-2014, 09:57 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Just about all of the bike related areas come before the guns or politics. The only big exception to this is the Off Topic area which is very popular.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Just about all of the bike related areas come before the guns or politics. The only big exception to this is the Off Topic area which is very popular.
I think his concern is when he 'opens' up 'new posts' and there are posts about things he isn't interested in reading about.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:14 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

So he wants a filter to filter out the threads he's not interested in?

Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 PM
saxfiend
Tourer

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
So he wants a filter to filter out the threads he's not interested in?
Apparently I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for a filter for individual threads. Instead, it would be nice to be able to filter out entire forums -- e.g., the "Games" forum. I have no interest in ever seeing anything about games on a Harley forum, so having an option for it not to appear when I click on "new posts" would be real handy; as it is now, sometimes half the new posts are from the Games forum.

Another website I frequent has this functionality; it allows you to hide all "for sale" posts. Whether hdforums.com has the same capability, I don't know.

JL

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (11-08-2022)
Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by saxfiend
Apparently I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for a filter for individual threads. Instead, it would be nice to be able to filter out entire forums -- e.g., the "Games" forum. I have no interest in ever seeing anything about games on a Harley forum, so having an option for it not to appear when I click on "new posts" would be real handy; as it is now, sometimes half the new posts are from the Games forum.
Even though I'm a big fan of the Games section, I agree 100% with this. I can imagine how irritating it is to others to see "Games" dominating the New Posts option. And because I find it a little annoying, I normally don't click on New Posts.

So count me in on filtering out individual sections.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:29 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

That would be an awesome feature. I'd hide games and new members and possibly the evo threads cause those guys are just plain mean to us twincam guys...

Old 11-28-2014, 03:48 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

on one hand i can see being able to filter the individual forums, because there are those that i dont follow and dont click on.... on the other hand, if i dont want to go to that forum then i ignore it.... i dont look to see what forum a subject is in, if it catches my eye then i will read what is being said below below the title, then i look to see what forum its in and lets me know what direction the subject is leaning toward....

jmo, so Terry can do what he wants...
heres a thought...
TAKE A POLL
it dont matter to me

Old 11-29-2014, 11:42 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by soft 02
That would be an awesome feature. I'd hide games and new members and possibly the evo threads cause those guys are just plain mean to us twincam guys...

Old 12-09-2014, 01:29 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by saxfiend
If this question has been brought up before, sorry; I did do a search.

Would it be possible to add a feature that would allow users to hide or block particular forums they don't want to see? When I get on this site, the first place I go is the "new posts" link; half the time, all I see are posts in the games forum or off-topic forum. My whole reason for being on this website is to read about Harleys, not guns or politics or games. It sure would be nice not to have to sift through all this irrelevant junk every time I log on.

JL
The way I do it is very simple. First you need to be using the "Tab" feature & "Bookmark Tool bar" turned on with your browser.
I then log into my control panel. Then drag & drop the tab that shows where you are at & put it in the Bookmark tool bar.
When you click on anything in the bookmark tool bar it will take you directly to that place on the web. Just leave yourself logged in to the forum.
When you are on the forum that is your interest or favorite thread use the thread tools & subscribe to that forum or thread & it will be put in your control panel.
You can also not go to your control panel & just do your favorite forum with the tab & bookmark bar. It will take you directly to that forum.
You can put all the forums you like under your control panel also. Click on the CP & pick your favorite.....

Last edited by sloufoot; 12-09-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Hiding Forums?