Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Big issues with HD Forums

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
MPD302
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Big issues with HD Forums

Hello. I am new to this forum but am growing fond of the interaction between members. I was notified last night of a reply to a subscribed thread via email and followed the link on my Nexus 7. When I got to the page, I was immediately greeted by an advertisement that covered my entire screen and would not go away until I clicked on one of the the three links provided. <Begin Rant Here>

I have no issues with a forum using advertisements to pay for the operational costs. I used to own and administer my own forum and have moderated several others over the years so I am quite familiar with what is involved. The more respected forums I have been associated with have always allowed their users the ability to use a mobile interface (as my nexus) via TapaTalk. After this issue last night I loaded up tapatalk to see if I could get around this problem that way and to my surprise HDForums was not listed. A simple search of the forum revealed several threads where this idea was shot down and summarily executed because of some unknown and mysterious "security issue" with tapatalk. Again, been involved with administrating forums for years and I have never heard of any such issue with TapaTalk... quite frankly... it has a corner on the market, is enormous and quite stable. It would not be widely used if were not.

My issues start when I am forced to do anything though. If I cannot load up HD Forums without being forced to click on some ad, then this is absolutely not the place for me to be a member. So I guess I would like to ask you folks; people who have been here for several years, is this typical of this site? Is this really a forum for HD enthusiasts, or just a way to make money for the site admin?

Thanks

Robert

Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

If you look around in this section, you will find dozens of similar complaints. The answer to all of them is simply this, install an ad blocker.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM
MPD302
Banned

IzzoQuazzo,
Thanks, that is not quite the answer I hoping to find, but one that I expected was coming. I want to tip my hat to you, because you and I are brothers. I too and a former 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagle". Desert Storm and two tours in Iraq for Iraqi Freedom. The former, I was an Infantryman and the latter, a Blackhawk Pilot flying MEDEVAC. So thank you for your service.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
JackDupp
Outstanding HDF Member

Big issues with HD Forums
No issues, go to Google Play and search for IB Automotive Group App.
I use it and it works.

Sent from my Nexus4 using IB app.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:05 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD302
Hello. I am new to this forum but am growing fond of the interaction between members. I was notified last night of a reply to a subscribed thread via email and followed the link on my Nexus 7. When I got to the page, I was immediately greeted by an advertisement that covered my entire screen and would not go away until I clicked on one of the the three links provided. <Begin Rant Here>

I have no issues with a forum using advertisements to pay for the operational costs. I used to own and administer my own forum and have moderated several others over the years so I am quite familiar with what is involved. The more respected forums I have been associated with have always allowed their users the ability to use a mobile interface (as my nexus) via TapaTalk. After this issue last night I loaded up tapatalk to see if I could get around this problem that way and to my surprise HDForums was not listed. A simple search of the forum revealed several threads where this idea was shot down and summarily executed because of some unknown and mysterious "security issue" with tapatalk. Again, been involved with administrating forums for years and I have never heard of any such issue with TapaTalk... quite frankly... it has a corner on the market, is enormous and quite stable. It would not be widely used if were not.

My issues start when I am forced to do anything though. If I cannot load up HD Forums without being forced to click on some ad, then this is absolutely not the place for me to be a member. So I guess I would like to ask you folks; people who have been here for several years, is this typical of this site? Is this really a forum for HD enthusiasts, or just a way to make money for the site admin?

Thanks

Robert
I have been on here for a little over 9 years and I don't have any issues with advertising or anything else. As for being a member, that is up to you.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:11 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

And yes, the ads are how we pay for this site. Nothing is free.

Airborne!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alt f4 will usually delete front screen, give it a try. I have used this to delete things and seems to work, or esc can work at times.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM
MPD302
Banned

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Alt f4 will usually delete front screen, give it a try. I have used this to delete things and seems to work, or esc can work at times.
Thank Bucket List, I use that often when on my PC, but no ability to do that on a tablet.

I totally understand the need for advertising to support the site. My issue is when logging on via mobile and you have no alternative but to click on ads. That is my issue. I am on a PC now, and I can choose to click ads or not.

As IzzoQuazzo stated, this has been brought up by several others before me I guess, and it appears that it is not going to change...

I guess I am now back in the Forum Business again. I just registered a new domain: If you can't fix what's wrong, then do it better I guess.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-21-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDupp
No issues, go to Google Play and search for IB Automotive Group App.
I use it and it works.
JD got it right , the above is the correct answer and solution!

Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

Know what are security issues with this app I get a warning saying that I have it has viruses

I'm on a Nexus 6p in Chrome app constantly tells me there's a virus when browsing Forums on this site

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 02-21-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Big issues with HD Forums