Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Which suspension for a softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Luckyruby4
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which suspension for a softail

Hello, My wife has a 2014 Softail Deluxe, she is only light (125 lbs) and short at 5 foot tall.

We lowered the bike and inch using the lowering kit, and we fitted a standard Harley Lowered/short reach seat.

The issue is when she hits a bump the bike seems like it bottoms out, we are not sure but it rides hard and bucks/bouncers her off the seat.

I have ridden it and it seems harsh but not hard for me so I am guessing its a lot to do with her light weight and I have read that standard softail suspension is not all that good.

I want to fit/modify her suspension to improve the ride, and have read about Air Suspension, Progressive Suspension and the Standard suspension. Each having good and bad reviews but none that is clear enough for me to make a decision on what I should use to make the change.

Does anyone know what would work or what I should do to modify/adjust her bike to improve the ride whilst retaining the seat height?

I dont mind spending money but I want to do it right and once, so your advice would be greatly appreciated.