Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front end damage - Slow T-Bone

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM
magnethead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end damage - Slow T-Bone

Hi there,
I was filtering along beside a lane of stopped traffic with nothing coming down the oncoming lane, suddenly a lad pulled out completely across the road to do a U-Turn in front of me and I T-boned him directly head on, as I was only doing 15-20 Miles/hour. Most of the damage is on the front, the wheel didn't even bend..looks like just the fork.....
It seemed a bit harder to find neutral.

Do you think I should try and replace the forks myself or leave it into the stealer..Could there be bigger issues going on here that can happen even at low speed? The rubber engine mounts? I think the support for them was level before, but I can't remember.

Here's a few Pics
http://s679.photobucket.com/user/mag...95732350505085

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Nathan

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
JTBronco
Stage IV

You can replace the front end with out to much of a hassle. Get a service manual and if it's your first time give yourself a day or 2. I don't have a lot of experiance with sportsters but my fxds had the same front end. The service manual week have instructions for vehicle alignment. If you can't get it to line up is a good chance you've tweaked your frame. If you have a good shop you trust, a pros opinion/inspection is almost always a good thing. Our you can fix it with a dyna

Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the dealer to do a full assessment of the damage as often things get bent and we overlook them. I'm assuming the kid was insured so screw him and have the job done by the pros, particularly if you think the engine mount has moved (you could have frame damage)

Old 10-25-2014, 11:31 AM
magnethead
Intermediate

Fairplay for the replies guys, I like doing repairs on the bike, but you're right about this one....I don't think I'd be sure on the alignment and It's worth having the Pro's look after it...

I was thinking of grabbing the insurance money and doing the job cheaper myself and saving the difference...but not worth it..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your trees.... My bike was backed into, had to replace the whole front end, everything sprung.