Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

tools to replace sliders

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM
elkscout
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tools to replace sliders

I have some chrome sliders to install on my dyna, and I was reading the service manual to get an idea of what tools/equipment is needed for the job.
Don't recall anything special, except the fork tube holder, which I intend to improvise. The manual mentions to be careful when relieving the spring preload, but doesn't state any specific tool or technique to use. Manual makes it sound like it could be fairly dangerous, so what am I missing? Is there that much compression on the springs?

I could use some clarification/tips for this procedure.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:19 PM
el loco rico
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elkscout
I have some chrome sliders to install on my dyna, and I was reading the service manual to get an idea of what tools/equipment is needed for the job.
Don't recall anything special, except the fork tube holder, which I intend to improvise. The manual mentions to be careful when relieving the spring preload, but doesn't state any specific tool or technique to use. Manual makes it sound like it could be fairly dangerous, so what am I missing? Is there that much compression on the springs?

I could use some clarification/tips for this procedure.
You should be able to hold back pressure with your hand just kind of push in as you turn nut / just don't let it go flying across room or hit you in the face

Old 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Go to Howard's site,Motorcycle Metal and watch the videos,so easy even a girl can do it! The only special tool you should need are soft jaws for your vise and a chunk of PVC tubing.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:49 AM
elkscout
Intermediate

thanks for the tips. I found a related thread, which claimed the forks don't even have to be completely removed if only the lowers are removed. Hope that also applies to wide glide front ends.

Last edited by elkscout; 04-20-2015 at 07:50 AM. Reason: grammar