Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Installing HD 10inch Mini Apes on Sportster Forty Eight

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Daddy_J
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing HD 10inch Mini Apes on Sportster Forty Eight

I have search high an low to find a video or a list of how to instal HD 10 insh mini apes on a 2015 sportster forty eight and seem to not find one thing about it.

All I really need is to know what items I would need to buy like any cables, brake lines and the part numbers or where to buy and what length.

Video would be nice to see how its done and wires routed and such.

But I could do with just a Step by step write up with list of items needed to do install.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction or let me know what all I will need part wise.

I have been told by some I dont need anything to install these and others saying i will need a new brake line but no one tells me where to get a break line.

Please help if you can I want to at least get this done as I was planning on the seat too but that can wait I just need to sit up instead of down and forward.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

HD bars are OK, but there are many nicer sets out there to be had...take a look at HCC's offerings and...they'll sell you the parts (piece by piece), or kit (all ready for install).

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...-Kits-C61.aspx

Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Daddy_J
Cruiser

but saying HD bars are ok does not tell me anything. I need to know if i need to buy any other parts like brake lines and such and if lines need to be re routed how to as well. More details the better. I am a wrencher so doing the work is not hard i jsut want to do it right and not have to be upset that i do not have everything right off the bat i need.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
HD bars are OK, but there are many nicer sets out there to be had...take a look at HCC's offerings and...they'll sell you the parts (piece by piece), or kit (all ready for install).

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...-Kits-C61.aspx

Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

OK...here's what you're looking to buy:

1. Bars (your preference)
2. Control cables (longer) or extension kit (call vendor to match new bars + slack)
3. Clutch cable (same as control - need longer)
4. Throttle cable (again, longer to allow for bars)
5. New "front" brake line (length to match bars)
6. Tie downs, lube (for cable runs), pull chain
7. Mirrors (if you don't like stock)
8. (Optional) front signals w/fork/tree mount (if you don't prefer the bar mounts)
9. Grips (if yours get damaged, or simply want new look)

Again, it's best to contact the vendor directly (HD, or after-market) and ensure you got it "all inclusive" to your project. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Daddy_J
Cruiser

OK I guess I can call HD up and see if I need anything else I already have the mini apes from HD . But I really was just looking to see if anyone already knows what I would need or not need and how if at all to reroute cables and such if it is needed. I also already have other grips as well.

I am more looking for a how to install and list of whats needed for the HD mini apes to be put on a 2015 sportster forty eight.

If I was going for 12inch or higher yes i can see all of the below question being needed and would get all of it but I am not looking at that the 10 inch is more tha enough for me and will make me comfortable in a upper position compared to the downward style.

Thanks for your list do ill keep that in mind when calling HD tomorrow just incase its needed. Unless i get someone to chime in on my situation.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
OK...here's what you're looking to buy:

1. Bars (your preference)
2. Control cables (longer) or extension kit (call vendor to match new bars + slack)
3. Clutch cable (same as control - need longer)
4. Throttle cable (again, longer to allow for bars)
5. New "front" brake line (length to match bars)
6. Tie downs, lube (for cable runs), pull chain
7. Mirrors (if you don't like stock)
8. (Optional) front signals w/fork/tree mount (if you don't prefer the bar mounts)
9. Grips (if yours get damaged, or simply want new look)

Again, it's best to contact the vendor directly (HD, or after-market) and ensure you got it "all inclusive" to your project. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Daddy_J
Cruiser

Ok all I started the install of this. So here is where I am at with this. Did not need wiring extension. Got new longer brake line, Need a longer clutch cable which was on order, Throttle/idle cable did not use new ones but ordered as well. Everything worked out very well so far and i saved money by buying only what I needed.

In all you will need the following if you plan to install the Mini Apes(part number 56075-07) on a forty eight:
-Clutch Cable
-Brake Line
-Still iffy on this but throttle/idle cable
Wiring will be fine there was plenty of slack under the tank.

I am waiting on parts so it will be at least two weeks before I am done with this. I will post pics so everyone can see still not sure if I need the throttle/idle cable as I feel enough slack in it but just in case I am still getting the cables as I am having a buddy of mine that is a HD tech coming over to confirm just so I am 100% safe on the road.

Update will come.