Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front Brakes Locking up.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:30 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes Locking up.

Need a little advice. I have an 07 Roadglide. I have had an ongoing problem and cannot resolve it. My front brakes have started locking up after riding and the brake lever gets impossible to compress. The only way to get moving is to release the pressure at the bleeder valve. To date I have rebuilt the master cylinder and both front brake calipers, installed new pads and bled the whole system. I have felt all of the lines and cannot feel them compressing or collapsing. It is like the fluid is not being able to return to the master cylinder to release the pressure. Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Check the fluid level in the master. Could have too much.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Check rotors, both for alignment and warp.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

The lines can collapse internally without being able to feel it on the outside. Haven't had it happen on a bike, but have on a car, and it did just what you're describing. Replacing the brake line cured the problem. I've also had that happen on a bike when the caliper piston got dirty and wouldn't retract, but I'd guess you cleaned that when you rebuilt the calipers. Good chance if it's a brake line, it's only one. If you can find some cap nuts to fit, could plug a caliper and brake line on one side at a time and see if the other brake works ok. If only one doesn't - there's your problem.

Please let us know when you find the cause of the problem, might be something to add to our knowledge, too. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Daytona Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
The lines can collapse internally without being able to feel it on the outside. Haven't had it happen on a bike, but have on a car, and it did just what you're describing. Replacing the brake line cured the problem. I've also had that happen on a bike when the caliper piston got dirty and wouldn't retract, but I'd guess you cleaned that when you rebuilt the calipers. Good chance if it's a brake line, it's only one. If you can find some cap nuts to fit, could plug a caliper and brake line on one side at a time and see if the other brake works ok. If only one doesn't - there's your problem.

Please let us know when you find the cause of the problem, might be something to add to our knowledge, too. Good luck.

Thanks, you have given me something to chase after. I like the idea of capping off one of them. My sanity thanks you. I will let you all
know how it turns out

Old 09-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Glider
Thanks, you have given me something to chase after. I like the idea of capping off one of them. My sanity thanks you. I will let you all
know how it turns out
Found the problem yet?

Old 02-03-2023, 07:10 AM
omontejano
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day.
I had an issue last weekend. The rear brakes were litted whole time, I notices the leveler was not activating the brake sensor, so I decided to stick something to the leveler to push it and deactivate the rear lights. to do that, I have do dissamble the front leveler system, and never caught to hold the pump in an upper position to avoid air to comes in at brakes line, so, next day I rode to gas station because a HOG trip, and noticed the front brakes were stopping the bike, reducing the speed suddenly, I had to park, and after some minutes I was able to ride again, during the trip noticed the same issue and sfter some minutes the bike came to normal, no issues, but noticed the lever spongy. Last night the brake system was being bleed, noticed good hard lever, but once I rode again, the bike suddenly brake in front wheel, I was scared because it almost stop completely, I wait some minutes and return home at low speed braking only with rear brakes. So have any idea what may happen?

Old 02-03-2023, 07:28 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,585 Posts

Disassemble , inspect and rebuild the front calipers

Old 02-03-2023, 07:43 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,237 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Originally Posted by eighteight
Disassemble , inspect and rebuild the front calipers
And flush the fluid after rebuilding.

Also you should post the year and model of the motorcycle you are working on. Never a good idea to be jamming stuff into the brake lever. Best to follow the Service Manual for repairs and knowledge of what can happen.

Welcome to the forum.