Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Street Glide Suspension Questions

Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
0204665J
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide Suspension Questions

I currently own A Harley 2006 Street glide and ride solo. I have not been quite happy with the handling capabilities and comfort of the bike and am making to make some improvement. Several idea on upgrades for the suspension have been research on my part thru this forum and other info from Tech's. Many costly, butI am trying to get the right formula together for my application. I have just put on new Metzelers tires on this bike on stock wheels.I am a large man at 6.1" about 330.

I am looking at these possibilities and wanted to get some feedback on far to go with the solution.

1) Go with Progressive HD 440 at 13.5 inches as my 1st move. This was recommended by the Progressive people. I am a little concern about the look and stability if I raise it too high.

2) Go with the True track system as # 2.

3) Looking at using the people from Traxxion to upgrade my front end as #3. The have a full cartridge solution andI have heard alot of positives on them.I do not know if this is overkill or would upgrading the fluid or upgrade fork spring would work just as well.

Thanks-Ray

Old 05-17-2007, 01:42 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide Suspension Questions

ORIGINAL: 0204665J
I currently own A Harley 2006 Street glide and ride solo. I have not been quite happy with the handling capabilities and comfort of the bike and am making to make some improvement. Several idea on upgrades for the suspension have been research on my part thru this forum and other info from Tech's. Many costly, butI am trying to get the right formula together for my application. I have just put on new Metzelers tires on this bike on stock wheels.I am a large man at 6.1" about 330.

Well, I'm a bit smaller at 5'10" and 170, but on the contrary I find my bike's stock handling quite good. I do agree with you that the 12" rear shocks are too harsh and I just installed some Progressive 440 12.5" (440-4001) yesterday. I've only ridden it about 15 miles since, but that short burst revealed a more compliant ride. You would need the version with the HD springs (440-4019). I would think 13.5" would be too long, as that's even longer than the standard EG/RK shocks at 13". One SG owner moved to the 13" 440's and didn't like the handling, apparently a factor of the added height, and later switched to 12" and what he described as a better alternative.

In my case, I don't find the extra 1/2" to make a discernible difference in either looks or riding height, but again I would like to take a longer ride to fully evaluate the change in all departments, including handling.

I can't help with the other two questions you posed, but someone on another thread (Touring forum?) said that he installed 12" 440's, Tru-Track, and Progressive front springs. The result was in his opinion a much better handling and riding bike.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Street Glide Suspension Questions

Since you're looking for feedback, here's mine.

1) You are going to go through those Metzelers at a pretty good rate, but they'll sure work well
while they last.

2) You will benefit greatly from True Track or other brand device that does the same, especially at
your size.

3) I wouldn't recommend 440s. I know a lot of folks here swear by them, but I don't. Do your
homework before making up you mind.

4) Fork kit....good.

CN