Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

For those of you with the Legend AXEO kit...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default For those of you with the Legend AXEO kit...

I should leave well enough alone but want to ask before I start the install.

I will be installing the Legend AXEO -1" lowering cartridges in my 2016 SGS 49mm tubes this weekend. Talking with Ryland at Legend he recommends keeping the preload a zero since I am "right" at that weight and ride solo 70% of the time. Rylan said if I were to ride 50/50 solo/ 2-up then I could go to the 4 turn setting. Currently I am Solo 240 lbs and 2-up is over 400 lbs. I also am running larger speakers, brackets and amps in the front end, plus a tour-pak on the rear.

My concern is I am running a 21" front wheel with a stock fender on Ness brackets for the wheel clearance. Some threads I have read state that the fender can make contact with the tree, but I am not sure of their weights or preload settings. Want to lower the front close to factory specs.

So this not being a simple readjust kind of thing should I go with recommended zero preload or go by the chart provided by Legend? Seems to me I would want the preload set anywhere from 1 to 4 turns based on their charts.

What to expect from this cartridge setup? Not looking for a sofa kinda feel just want the front end to be more stable due to the slightly increased wheel size I put on. The front end seems to want to walk around on sweepers when 2-up with the stock suspension (premium 12" rears), I will be adding the REVO-A's in a few weeks to have a matched system.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by BOARGAURD; 10-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

You might wanna call Legend and speak with a tech because there may be an issue with that 21" wheel. That kit was designed and tested for the stock 19" wheel. So any other size may or may not jive with that kit. I have the Axeo kit in my 15RGS and it made a big difference vs the stock setup. Front end doesn't dive when I hit the front brakes, handles better in the turns and overall the front end feels more smooth & stable.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:01 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Originally Posted by MatteGlide15
You might wanna call Legend and speak with a tech because there may be an issue with that 21" wheel. That kit was designed and tested for the stock 19" wheel. So any other size may or may not jive with that kit. I have the Axeo kit in my 15RGS and it made a big difference vs the stock setup. Front end doesn't dive when I hit the front brakes, handles better in the turns and overall the front end feels more smooth & stable.

Yep, both Rylan and Eric said the 21" wheel is the max size that will work. This is why I chose their kit. Hoping for more stable!

Last edited by BOARGAURD; 10-21-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Legend is closed until Monday and I am trying to install this weekend. As simple as it looks, adding preload is this going towards spring or away from the spring? The instructions state they are shipped at zero but by the looks of them, they appear to be off.

Attached Thumbnails For those of you with the Legend AXEO kit...-img_0078.jpg  
Old 10-23-2016, 04:29 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Shout out to Direct Cycle Parts ! They were able to answer the questions needed and were very helpful. The install took about an hour and a half and although the fender to tree spacing looks close , the bike is lowered exactly 1". I took measurements at the front of the frame to ground clearance before and after install. Short test ride and it feels completely different. Legend states proper fluid amount makes the bump stops work, so far so good!

Old 11-03-2016, 01:08 PM
UnaHarlista
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOARGAURD
Legend is closed until Monday and I am trying to install this weekend. As simple as it looks, adding preload is this going towards spring or away from the spring? The instructions state they are shipped at zero but by the looks of them, they appear to be off.
So, what did Direct Cycle tell you about the small off-set between the two pre-load differences?

Old 11-03-2016, 01:38 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master

Originally Posted by UnaHarlista
So, what did Direct Cycle tell you about the small off-set between the two pre-load differences?

One of the owners of Direct Cycles listened to my problem and told me he would call me back in a few minutes. He called the owner of Legends on his cell phone and called me back. Legends said it is normal for the adjusters to be off from each other and he assured us that the cartridges are shipped at zero, being a small company and knowing his employees he said it was right.

I went with 1 turn on the preloaders based on the weight settings and installed them. We have hit some pretty massive bumps and the fender has NOT made contact at all, the handling is so much improved over stock. Sunday we were on a long stretch of road that had been graded and the handlebars were solid with little effort, the rear of the bike was wagging but the front was awesome.

The following users liked this post:
UnaHarlista (11-03-2016)