Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Fork Tube Extensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Fork Tube Extensions

Has anyone ever used Fork Tube Extensions to extend the length of the fork tubes and if so what did you think?

I really have no opinion or idea about this as a viable option and welcome any and all comments.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I'm fixin to go ahead with a set of these for my 2014 Breakout:

It generally takes awhile for me to get a project going. I order stuff delivered to my US package service then, when I have a sufficient number of packages to collect, make the trip to collect em.

I've run across some old threads here which discourage "extensions" but they are a decade old post(s) refering to 70's era product so I'm inclined to discount them as they also contain little detail, (length, diameter, seam location ), about the product or its installation.

I'll be installing these 2" extensions which are steel and which when installed will result in a seam located 0.65 " below my upper tree pinch clamp with the internal threads slightly (1/10") gripped by the clamp. The seam, obviously, will also be supported by the lower tree pinch clamp as well so I expect the end result will be structurally very sound.

Apologies for the hijack Machiavelli, but I too an interested in commentary, at this point, from anyone with actual experience. These seem to be a common market item now so someone must have used em.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I can remember when slugs were all the rage. I didn't trust them then and I didn't have any reason other than "I want my fork tubes to be one piece" (even though the slug is between the triple clamps). I'm not even a backyard engineer so I recognize that my fears could be completely unfounded. If I were in the market for something like that that, I'd order new tubes; I wouldn't have the ***** to ride with slugs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
HKMark23 (03-22-2017), Yamaharley (03-31-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:57 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

41mm tubes (Touring, FXST, FXDWG) have been effectively running that way for a looooong time, albeit the seam would be just below the top tree

I would buy USA made

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
41mm tubes (Touring, FXST, FXDWG) have been effectively running that way for a looooong time, albeit the seam would be just below the top tree

I would buy USA made
Thanx so much bro. I was inclined to think that with the seam less than an inch away from the top tree clamp, the stresses on that extension joint wouldn't be a concern. Still, its awfully nice to hear from a guy who has already walked the walk.

I should be able to find out easy enough if "Cycle Visions" is making these or outsourcing em. FWIW, while Googling, I've seen extensions made of Aluminum being offered. I ain't buying em, but they're out there.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

For example...41mm FX fork assy shown below. Isn't that really the same thing?

Old 03-23-2017, 11:17 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
For example...41mm FX fork assy shown below. Isn't that really the same thing? ,,,,
Yep, exactly. The design is a bit different but with the extension, (or slug), in the top clamp and the fork tube screwed into the extension, just below the clamp, the effect is precisely the same.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:04 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Bringing this thread back to the top; patient zero checking in

Ordered the Cycle Visions 49mm 2" fork tube extensions: https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-vis...prd/585278.sku

I've been toying with the idea of going either +2" or +4" on my Wide Glide for a year now with CCE hard chrome tubes; couldn't decide on tube length and dropping well over $500 on tubes and fork rebuild kits to find out I picked the wrong length didn't sound like fun; these +2" extensions are a simple and inexpensive alternative that will tell me what I need to know.

I'd planned on pulling the forks off the first of this week anyway to tweak my fluid level and spacer length so adding the extensions won't be a hardship; I will make new spacers out of schedule 40 instead of that 2 piece approach.

I couldn't determine for certain if the Cycle Visions are USA manufacture, so I'm holding my breath that they are. If we ever finally get spring I'll be able to let you know how it all worked out; or didn't

Old 03-25-2017, 07:16 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Obviously you'll report back, or maybe it will deserve it's own thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:52 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Bringing this thread back to the top; patient zero checking in

Ordered the Cycle Visions 49mm 2" fork tube extensions: https://www.denniskirk.com/cycle-vis...prd/585278.sku

I've been toying with the idea of going either +2" or +4" on my Wide Glide for a year now with CCE hard chrome tubes; couldn't decide on tube length and dropping well over $500 on tubes and fork rebuild kits to find out I picked the wrong length didn't sound like fun; these +2" extensions are a simple and inexpensive alternative that will tell me what I need to know.

I'd planned on pulling the forks off the first of this week anyway to tweak my fluid level and spacer length so adding the extensions won't be a hardship; I will make new spacers out of schedule 40 instead of that 2 piece approach.

I couldn't determine for certain if the Cycle Visions are USA manufacture, so I'm holding my breath that they are. If we ever finally get spring I'll be able to let you know how it all worked out; or didn't
I've e-mailed CycleVisions for manufacturing details,, still waiting.

Re the 2 piece approach, I've been considering that too. Since nothing at that level internally, should actually move, I'll probably stick with the 2 pce. stacking for ease of installation and reversal if I don't like it.

"Got my 3G filter relocation kit in hand TC. It'll go on next oil change".

Quick Reply: Fork Tube Extensions