Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:00 PM
BGold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal

I have a new 05 FLSTCI with approx. 1900 miles. The rear brakes are squealing when applied at slow speeds coming to a stop. When I brought it in for its 1,000 mile service they sanded the pads which did not work. Now they are telling me that a certain amount of squeal is acceptable and that its the "Character of the Bike". I was not happy with that answer so I called HD Customer service and got the same answer word for word. Customer service says that their techs gave the dealership some options to try, but my dealer never did. They said something about foaming behind the rotor. I'm not sure what that means but I will bring back and see what they say.

Has anyone experienced this problem or have any ideas how to fix?

Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Brake Squeal

i get a wishing sound but no squeal, i figure the holes in the rotor make that sound tho, good luck with your problem!!

Old 10-21-2005, 03:51 AM
eidolon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change the pads to EBC Kevlars both front and rear and no more squeal.

seeya

Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the squeal is from the pads vibrating against the caliper piston or a slight build-up of dust/dirt between the pads and piston. I have used "Brake clean" to stop the squeal, but it will come back. I think they make a product you can spray or brush on behind the pad and caliper piston to eliminate the squeal, just don't us it on the front of the brake pad.

Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

When I wear my half helment it sounds like 1000 crickets humping.

I know but thats what I imagine they would sound like.

I think its the pad material and the way it strikes the vent holes of the rotor.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disc brake squeal is caused by the pads vibrating in the calipers. Fortunatly it's fairly easy to fix, and only costs a couple of dollars.

Remove the pads. Clean the back sides of the pads and the caliper contact points with brake cleaner and a wire bruch. Apply a little dab of Permatex Disc Brake Anti-Squeal. Reassemble. Apply brakes lightly to set the pads. Leave it over night. Done.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 PM
jeffflsti
Road Master

I get that same squeal when i slow to a stop. It certainly is loud! I might cleaning and the treatment and see if it works.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
95Heritage
Cruiser

I'm also getting a squeal from my front brakes when I apply them. I'm switch the front and rear brakes over to EBC Kevlars this weekend. I'll let you guys know what i find out.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Puzzled
Banned

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Disc brake squeal is caused by the pads vibrating in the calipers. Fortunatly it's fairly easy to fix, and only costs a couple of dollars.

Remove the pads. Clean the back sides of the pads and the caliper contact points with brake cleaner and a wire bruch. Apply a little dab of Permatex Disc Brake Anti-Squeal. Reassemble. Apply brakes lightly to set the pads. Leave it over night. Done.
Are you sealing them to the pistons?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Puzzled
Banned

I just got this squeal after 24K and a new set of pads. I was ready to $hit can them and order Lyndalls like I have on theback. I know the one front caliper is missing the little metal tab that is sort of spring loaded and holds the pads in place. (it kicked my a$$ putting the new pads in!) If it is indeed the pads rattling I'll try the above posted suggestion and I'll put that clip back in.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal