Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

converting FLSTC to dual front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 PM
amerseth
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting FLSTC to dual front brakes?

I am curious if there is anyone out there who has done the conversion from the stock single disc front brake of the heritage classic to a dual disc front brake more like the touring class, for instance, the road king classic?

Perhaps more specifically, if the sliders on the touring bikes will fit the setup on the heavy front end softails to facilitate this conversion.

I just had the opportunity to ride my neighbor's road king, also rented a street glide, and then returned to my big softail to feel that my braking seems inadequate. I am considering converting to the dual disc setup and am wondering just how in-depth it is, or is it relatively simple.

So, anyone out there ever considered this or performed this on their bike? Were you satisfied?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: converting FLSTC to dual front brakes?

You would need both right and left sliders, adapters to make your heritage fender fit the RK sliders, and would need to make sure the RK fender mounts clear your fork covers under full compression. Also, a right side caliper, and an 11/16 master cylinder, and brake lines. OR....

Have you given any thought to a floating rotor, braided lines, and aftermarket pads (Lyndall makes some great ones). A much cheaper and easier alternative to a complete front end change, and I think you'd be pleased with how much better the brakes are.