Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Fairing cap, ignition switch removal- touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
shovelheadred
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fairing cap, ignition switch removal- touring

Ok, after being confused by the service manual about how to remove my ignition switch on my '07 Ultra classic, I did some searches on the forum. I found some info about how easy it was to remove, but still said to refer to the service manual. In the manual it says to turn the forks all the way to the left, turn the ignition switch to the left to the lock position, then insert key push down and while pushing up on little button on bottom of switch, turn key counter clockwise. Then it tells you to use HD special tool to turn the ignition in any position you need (because the fork is now locked) BULLSH#T!
The easiest way to do this is leave the forks facing forward, turn iginition switch to lock position, insert key and while holding button in push key down and turn counter clockwise. the igniton switch will pop straight up. There is a fairly large spring that will drop off the botton of the switch so be ready for that as you withdraw it. Now take a 7/8 in open end wrench and loosen the nut on top of the cylinder, and pull the plastic ring up and off. Lay every thing out in order so you can install in the same configuration. If you need to remove your fairing cap,there is a screw on each end. Also I found it easy to remove the tank dash to gain enough clearance between the gas tank.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
pcqcomputer
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fairing cap, ignition switch removal- touring

Thanks for the info&nbsp\\; you save me a lot of time

Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 PM
CHOPPERHARLOW
Cruiser

Thanks for the 411 Shovelheadred! Worked like a freakin' charm bro! Did it like you said on a 05 Electra Glide & it took about a minute to figure it out. I popped it back in to make sure i did'nt just get lucky the first time and it worked again the second time! Thanks again! RIDE SAFE!!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
Question

Can you tell me how to get it back in? How about some pictures if you can. I just changed the inner fairing to a painted one and the steeler wants 80 bucks to remove and replace the ignition to change the lower cap. I would love to do it myself but they say i need a special tool to put it back in. I just dont want springs and little pieces flying all over the garage..

Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good tip...

Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
touch down
6th Gear

Thank you very much! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
novabeast69
Advanced

Great info! Just removed cap, very easy after following your directions. Thank you.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
MorseCustoms
6th Gear

Do you know is this will work on a 04 Ultra Classic? I tried and the ignition did pop up some and the button remained pressed in but the ignition did not pop all the way up so I'm wondering if I'm not turning the key enough? How much do you turn it counter clockwise? Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
bherndog
Stage IV

THANK YOU! It's nice to get info from people with a clue. I thought the whole fairing was gonna have to come off to get to fork caps!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MorseCustoms
Do you know is this will work on a 04 Ultra Classic? I tried and the ignition did pop up some and the button remained pressed in but the ignition did not pop all the way up so I'm wondering if I'm not turning the key enough? How much do you turn it counter clockwise? Thanks
You turn the key CC until it stops. If you do everything the original poster said the whole switch should pop right off.

About the special tool; I took a wire hanger and bent a small "U" in the end. You can stick it down and carefully switch the ignition where ever you want. I invented this when I screwed up the synchronization of the parts inside and nothing would work after I reinstalled the switch. I used my "tool" to get the bottom part (ignition switch) and the top part (fork lock) lined up so when I inserted the ignition handle it all worked again.

Morse, my hog's a 06 Ultra, I believe your switch is like mine.

Quick Reply: Fairing cap, ignition switch removal- touring