Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Road King rear wheel removal

Old 01-29-2006, 11:40 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Road King rear wheel removal

This is similiar to another recent post in which someone was concerned about rear wheel alingnment with the re-installation of the wheel. The factory manual makes removal seem easy enough, and the response in the other post said to loosen the adjusters on both side maybe 3 turns to remove the wheel.

With that said, are there marks on all swingarms for alignment? I have a '99 and my obvious concern would be the wheel's alignment upon installation and belt tension. The belt tension I can take care of with the tool that the dealer sells, but my main concern is the wheel's alignment.

I have all of the appropriate tools and years of experience, but this is one of those things where I don't feel it is necessary to take the bike in and leave it because I need a new rear tire. Having not performed this particular task on this kind of particular bike, I am humbly asking anyone for their input.

Thanks!

-Carl

Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Road King rear wheel removal

There are usually a small hole in the swing arm about the diameter of a coat hangar. If you make up a piece of coat hanger or welding rod in the shape of an "L" and install a grommet of sorts that will slide tightly on it, you can use this device to measure both sides to get the wheel straight by inserting it into the small hole and measuring to the center of the axle on both sides., then just adjust belt tension using the same amount of turns on each adjuster.

If you release the wheel by loosening the adjusters the 3 turns, you can reistall it again and tighten the adjusters back up the 3 turns which should get you very close to where you were before you started, then just double check the alignment and tension.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM
TimC
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They show you how to use the coathanger/weld rod in the shop manual. If you don't have one I can email you the section

Old 01-29-2006, 01:12 PM
ckamin
Tourer

Thanks for the offer to email the shop manual section, but I have it (I just haven't looked at the section on rear wheel alignment, just the section on rear wheel removal). Based on your help, it looks like it is a rather easy job. Have you guys found that it is only necessary to remove the right side muffler, like the book says?

Thanks!

Carl

Old 01-29-2006, 01:34 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

You have the option of disconnecting the shocks also . That usually drops the axle/swingarm down far enough to remove it without removing the muffler, then you can reverse it on reinstallation to make life easier in the future. Been done quite often.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:13 PM
ckamin
Tourer

Oooohhh, the shock idea sounds better than the muffler idea. I think I'll do that instead. Thanks for the help. Any other tricks anyone can think of?

Thanks!

Carl

Old 01-29-2006, 08:43 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

On your Roadking, there will not be a hole in the swingarm to use for a measuring point. You will need to remove the chrome cap that covers the swingarm pivot point on each side and measure from there. The cap can be removed with the blade of a knife. After removal of the chrome cap you will find the swing arm pivot bolt has a hole in the center so you can fit the short end of your L shaped rod into it.

I posted pictures of this somewhere here. Maybe one of the Moderators can bring it up to this post.

Regqrds,

Bill

Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Easier to just give a link than to repost the entire post.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88217/tm.htm

Old 01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Bill,

I also had some pics of how to use the welding rod to get the alignment right, but I don't remember where they were. I guess if cakmin has a problem I can repost them. I still have them on my computer.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 AM
ckamin
Tourer

I didn't look at my swingarm in the last 24 hours, but I swear that there is a hole in the swingam on my bike. I've seen it there a million times and have never wondered what it was for, but now I know! At least it should be easier than going the extra distance to the swing arm pivot point.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

-Carl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King rear wheel removal