Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Swap 07 Fatboy front end to FXST Front End

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:42 AM
markthecelt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap 07 Fatboy front end to FXST Front End

I have an 07 Fatboy...it seems to be uniquely blessed with extremely offset front end that neither the 08 or 06's and prior had.

I would like to run a Custom Softail (or compatible) front end. Obviously the front wheel ( and therefor the rear?) offset is different on a Custom Softail and a Fatboy. I have a Softail rear chrome swingarm (PN 48607-06)which is stated as compatible with both my 07 Fatboy and all 07 + 06 Softails with a 200mm wheel.

I think if I want to run the Custom Softail front end, I need to buy a Custom Softail rear wheel and use Custom Softail rear wheel spacers...then the rear end will be spaced like a Custom Softail since we both use the same swingarm. If I were to buy the HD inverted front end for the Custom Softail and again use a Custom Softail compatible wheel and Custom Softail spacers, the front end should align with the rear..just as it would on a Custom Softail which uses the same frame...does this make sense??

Things which give me pause in my deductions and things I would really like to know..
I have heard the offset in 07 is due to the engine being moved in the frame..not sure what that is to facilitate BUT, why are the other 07 and 06 96", 6spd, 200mm Softails not offset like this? Why were the 06 SE Fatboys with 6 spds and 200mm rear wheels not offset like this?
Are all 07 96", 6spd, 200mm softails using the same frame?
Is it the same as all the 06 96", 6spd, 200mm Softail frames?
Do all the above have the engine mounted in the same place?
Are all the 200mm 06 and 07 Softails swingarms the same?

..or simply, how can I change my 07 Fatboy front end to a regular fork setup and maintain my alignment\balance so I don't die in a 30mph speed wobble?

Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
hylton_enterprises
Novice
Default RE: Swap 07 Fatboy front end to FXST Front End

Okay... I guess I just don't get it. What does changing your front end have to do with all of the other stuff you are talking about regarding the REAR end? I have an 05 FXSTBI to which I want to put a Fat Boy front end on, and I am under the impression that 2000+ front ends will work. I don't see why you would need to do anything to the rear because you swapped out the front end.

AM I TOTALLY OFF HERE??

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM
markthecelt
Advanced
Default RE: Swap 07 Fatboy front end to FXST Front End

The front and rear tire on a bike must be in-line. If the fronttire is offset differently on an 07 Fatboy than your bike (which it is) and you put a Fatboy front end on without changing the offset on the rear wheel to match, your front and rear wheel will no longer be in line and you will have a firey crash and it will be abundently clear.

SO YES, YOU ARE TOTALLY OFF HERE. :-)

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
semperfine
Stage II
Default front end swap

I don't know if you're still in the market for a swap, but I want to do a front end trade for a fat boy set up. I have an 07 Night train with wide glide front end of course. Powder coated lowers with the standard 21 inch spoke wheel. Let me know if you're interested.