Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.
View Poll Results: A poll
DOT 5.1 Fluid
3.98%
DOT 5 Fluid
53.85%
DOT 4 Fluid
40.58%
DOT 3 Fluid
1.59%
Voters: 377. You may not vote on this poll

Soft Front Break Pull

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Soft Front Break Pull

Many people here have been complaining about a softer than normal front brake pull on their rides.

Let's all weigh in here and see what brake fluid you are running if it is all DOT 5 or if some are having this problem using DOT 4...

Also a few other choices as well.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:44 PM
JSW
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Soft Front Break Pull

T,
I just posted a thread about my dealer putting in the wrong brake fluid in this section. Take a look at it, I put my vote in for DOT 5 and a very soft feel compared to the 4 that was in after the dealer switched it.

Kevin
02 FXD

Old 08-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, I am confused. What did your bike have before dealer switched the brake fluid. If they put in DOT 5 and your bike had DOT 4, the question is whether the system was adequately flushed or not. I dont know what your bike manual says. I imagine it calls for DOT 5. if they were mixed that is a reason for sotness or even failure. Max

Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 AM
bigthunder
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed new chrome hand controls and a new braided brake line on my 07 fxst. I wasn't sure what type of brake fluid to use. I asked the dealer to just give me what comes stock. He gave me a bottle of dot-4. It feels softer now. Is a soft pull a bad thing? should I revisit this and maybe go to a dot-5? (just a side note i'm not even sure dot-4 is stock)

Old 10-07-2007, 05:48 PM
radjames
Novice

bigthunder, I believeDOT4 is correct for your 07. My 03 used DOT5 for sure. It shoud be listed on top of your brake fluid reservoir. If anyone is noticing any rotor noise, it could be that you only have 2 out of 4 pistons functioning in your calipers. I just posted a little about my experience on this forum.
Keep the shiny side up.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

There is actually a very easy fix for this soft brake lever. I have a 01 Road King, the lever was very soft from day one. The dealer told me normal. Well I know that it is not normal but what are you gonna do. Any way the issue here is that the pistons in the calipers are sticky and are getting sucked back into the caliper. All you need to do to correct this is to clean up the pistons in the caliper. Start with the Clutch side take it off and hang it up with some string if you do not have a helper. Then work the lever until the pads are touching together, it will take several times for this to happen and you may have to keep at it for a bit until they actually touch together. I work then lever until it gets firm and the pads are fully touching. Then take some brake clean and a tooth brush and clean off the build up on the pistons. make sure you get them good. Now the fun part is getting the pistons back into the calipers. I use a big screw driver and pry them apart and then just kinda work them back in. Bolt them back up then repeat with the other side. You will, be amazed at the difference in lever feel. It is like a new bike. This will not permanently fix the issue but you should get a few months before you have to do it again.[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

The following users liked this post:
LowRiderGuy (11-06-2017)
Old 12-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Stevenacnj
Tourer

I just installed Performance Machine front & rear brakes with stainless steel brake lines on my 2003 FXSTSI. Used Dot 5 & also installed speed bleeders.

I bled all the air out & the front brake lever feels soft to me. It does get hardbefore the end of its travel.

I just finished the job up this past Sunday. Was very cold, windy, sleet, & rain - so couldnt test drive. The brakes do grab the rotors well (just rolling around in the garage). The soft feeling had me thinking I needed to bleed more air out. Will wait now, after reading this, for a test drive.

Update:

Yesterday I tried the following tip provided on this forum and it helped a lot: with the bike on kick stand & handle bars turned fully to left, I tied the front brake lever fully closed and let the bike sit over night. Then this am lightly tapped brake fluid resivior with handle of screw driver. I would say front brake feel hardened up by at least 25%. Much better feel now & I am sure it will be fine.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM
scott_shoe
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigThunder,
I'm having the same issue.&nbsp\\; I put on a new braided line and for the life of me I can't get the damn brake to bleed correctly.&nbsp\\; My 07 FXSTB calls for DOT4.&nbsp\\; The only stuff that I could find was a DOT3/4 mix.&nbsp\\; The guy at the parts store claims it will work... Kind of stumped as I had a braided line on there before and changed it with a black braided one and now I'm having issues...
Scott

The following users liked this post:
Radar1924 (02-18-2024)
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM
kevinalimay@cox.net
3rd Gear

&nbsp\\;PROTECT YOUR PAINT, with that said, level the master cylinder, remove top cover and press pistons until they bottom in the caliper bore......forcing all air to the reservoir. Pump them up, if that didn't work.......pump up the master cylinder maintain pressure and crack the banjo bolt loose that connects the master cylinder to the line. Then tighten bolt and release lever. Do this a few times. Next time you do a brake component replacement, I recomend a positive bleed. Inject the fluid through the bleeder screw until it fills the master cylinder, cap must be off so be careful. Last but not least, if all else fails, zip tie the lever back to the grip and let sit overnight.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
mcralph
Intermediate

After bleeding thoroughly, I cleaned the pistons as per this thread. They were cruddy and partially stuck.
The job was fast, easy, and now I have a decent front brake!
Many thanks.

Last edited by mcralph; 08-11-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft Front Break Pull