Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rear wheel bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
thadhayl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing noise

Ok, since my last post I have added&nbsp\\;the V &amp\\; H Long Shots with SE stage 1 with PCIII.&nbsp\\; This was done in Dec. before&nbsp\\;the great Northeast winter.&nbsp\\; Thanks for all the input.
&nbsp\\;
Here's my new problem.&nbsp\\; After the winter mods this spring I had the dealer change out my wheels with Black 6 spoke slotted with new bearing kits.&nbsp\\; After about 200 miles I had a whining noise from the rear.&nbsp\\; Brought it back to the shop.&nbsp\\; Put it on the lift an checked belt tracking. Mechanic told me to keep riding for short break in period.&nbsp\\; Nosie became louder&nbsp\\;&amp\\; with about 800 miles brought it back again.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Dealer pulled rear wheel &amp\\;&nbsp\\;replaced the bearings (warrenty).&nbsp\\; Now after about 200 miles on the second set of bearings the same noise is back.&nbsp\\; Both times the noise was more noticeable after riding a short time &amp\\; seems to be worst the hotter the weather was.&nbsp\\; Anyone&nbsp\\;have any idea what could be the problem other than me bringing back to the dealer in the first place.&nbsp\\; Just want to ride without the&nbsp\\;annoying noise.
&nbsp\\;
07 Heritage
V&amp\\;H Long Shots
SE Stage 1 Open Air
PC III
Black 6 Spoke Slotted Rims
Skull &amp\\; Flame
&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&n bsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Default RE: Rear wheel bearing noise

Could be that when&nbsp\\;the bearings were&nbsp\\;installed the bearing spacer(s)could be to short allowing too much preload on the bearings when the axle nut is tightened up.
I would take it back since there was a problem before.