Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Rear Master Cylinder problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 03:26 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Master Cylinder problem

I have a 2003 Sportster 883C and I did a dumb newbie thing. I accidently stripped the threads on the rear master cylinder. The threads are on what I've found online to be called the "pushrod." It's the female threads that go inside the black rubber boot. The linkage from the rear brake pedal screws into this fitting.

I was looking online, and the pushrod itself is inexpensive, but I have been unable to find directions of how easily just that part is replaced. Is it something I can do? I see there's a snap ring retaining the boot, and I have the pliers, so that's no big deal. But how difficult is it to remove that rod. I was able to get the brake linkage resecured into the master cylinder, but it's my brakes I'm talking about, and I want them fixed right.

If I can't just replace that part, how difficult is replacing the entire rear master cylinder? I would go with a chrome one if I had to go that route.

I have a Clymer manual coming, but I wanted to know which option to take so I could order parts ASAP.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the pushrod, and I have snap ring pliers on the way. If I remove the snap ring, and the rubber boot, will the pushrod and spring just slide out? Do I have to empty the fluid out before I replace this part, or only if I replace the piston?

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Mtsasquatch
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lost all rear brakes, does not appear to have leaked any fluid and bike was idle for a few months. Never happened before-1992 FLHTC