Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Suspension Choices for Softail (Front & Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
m0ngor1an
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Choices for Softail (Front & Rear)

I am looking to accomplish a couple of things with my Softail suspension. I would like to lower it some (nothing extreme), and also want to dramatically improve the ride over the stock junk that H-D installs.

I was all decided on Progressive 422s in the rear and Race Tech lowering springs w/ Emulators up front. Then I just had to go and keep reading through different posts in this forum, and now some of you have me questioning my decisions. So...

In the front, I am now thinking that the Ricor IAS valve is the much better choice over the Race Tech valves (especially with the group discount - which I _hope_ will still be available). They seem to be a superior design, and also don't require drilling out the stock damper rods (this is a big point). Does anyone have experience with both? comparisons?

If I drill out the dampers for the Race Tech kit then deicde to switch the emulators for the Intiminators later, do I have to replace the drilled out dampers to do so?

Considering that I go with the Ricor setup now, I still need to lower the front and am not sure which lowering springs would be best. I am looking at Progressive or Works Performance or possibly the Race Tech springs (w/out the Emulators). thoughts / opinions?

On the rear, I am now thinking that the Works Performance softail shocks are the best choice (although a little more expensive). I only want to have to do this change ONCE. Does anyone have experience with both of these? Are the Works shocks _really_ worth the extra money? I imagine that Ohlins will be brought up here, but they may be a bit too much to spend, I think.

I know that I've thrown an awful lot out there, but would appreciate any feedback, opinions, or experiences that anyone has. Thanks in advance....

Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m0ngor1an
I am looking to accomplish a couple of things with my Softail suspension. I would like to lower it some (nothing extreme), and also want to dramatically improve the ride over the stock junk that H-D installs.

I was all decided on Progressive 422s in the rear and Race Tech lowering springs w/ Emulators up front. Then I just had to go and keep reading through different posts in this forum, and now some of you have me questioning my decisions. So...

In the front, I am now thinking that the Ricor IAS valve is the much better choice over the Race Tech valves (especially with the group discount - which I _hope_ will still be available). They seem to be a superior design, and also don't require drilling out the stock damper rods (this is a big point). Does anyone have experience with both? comparisons?

If I drill out the dampers for the Race Tech kit then deicde to switch the emulators for the Intiminators later, do I have to replace the drilled out dampers to do so?

Considering that I go with the Ricor setup now, I still need to lower the front and am not sure which lowering springs would be best. I am looking at Progressive or Works Performance or possibly the Race Tech springs (w/out the Emulators). thoughts / opinions?

On the rear, I am now thinking that the Works Performance softail shocks are the best choice (although a little more expensive). I only want to have to do this change ONCE. Does anyone have experience with both of these? Are the Works shocks _really_ worth the extra money? I imagine that Ohlins will be brought up here, but they may be a bit too much to spend, I think.

I know that I've thrown an awful lot out there, but would appreciate any feedback, opinions, or experiences that anyone has. Thanks in advance....
If you want Performance (best out there and no budget limits) then your choice for the front is Traxxion Dynamics. http://www.traxxion.com/cruisers/cruiser_harley.shtml I currently have the Race Tech with emmulators on the my FXST but rode a HD with the Traxxion MUCH BETTER.

For the rear I rode the 422's but am currently running Ohlins 36DRL The shocks were valved and new spring from my weight. No comparison Yes they are more but the comfort and handling is worth it (for me)

Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
m0ngor1an
Advanced

There has to be some budget limits I'm afraid. I know the suspension is important, but I'm also not going to be racing with it or anything.

Is the Traxxion system capable of lowering the front (probably a dumb question, I imagine)?

Do you remember approximately how much you paid for your Ohlins?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 PM
RjCapp
Road Master

Good question, I was wondering the same. I was thinking on trying the Ricor valves but was not sure about the fact I already drilled the dampners. That being said the dampeners are cheap, like 11.00 dallars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I only have experience with race tech on an 08 Street Glide. Lowered 1 inch in the front to compensate for 21 up front.
I have and would recommend the race tech emulator alone.
I would not use the race tech springs lowered because they might clunk when you hit sharp bumps. I used the 95 kg kit, lowered 1 inch, and mine clunked.
Very annoying and unacceptable. I think if you don't lower it you wont have to worry about the clunk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I just changed the springs to progressive with the race tech emulator and clunk is gone. Kept the 1 inch lowering.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also just installed the progressive 440's and although there are better shocks for more $$$ The new setup is way WAY better than stock. BTW I bought a barely used set on EBAY for half price.

I have a set of race tech 95 kg springs I can sell for 40.00 plus shipping. I still have 2 of the springs that lower the front 1 inch. 4 washers. The spacers are already cut but pvc pipe will work if you need different length.
If I were you Id try the new Ricor IAS valve. Ask them what springs they recommend and do the works for the rear. Like you said you want to get it right the first time. Its a pain in the *** ripping forks apart.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Default One step at a time

Answer to part of your multi part question. I would suggest just starting out installing our IAS valve aka Intiminators. I have a Softail also and found the IAS valve unloaded or made the rear stock shocks a lot better as you get less input from the front end. Save yourself some $$$ and see what you think about just the IAS valve first. If you still want to play with the "link shock" or whatever one wants to call it ... go ahead but I really think you will be pleased with the IAS valve. Sounds like you are trying to do a lot of things at once. Easy to get to your springs and change them if you still feel the need to do so or better said "want to" to and lower the bike later.
Please do not try and compare the Emulator with Ricor's IAS valve. Two different animals and totally different results. No need to chase your front end tuning with the IAS valve. It has been throughly tested and you will not have to go back in to change any settings.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
m0ngor1an
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Hal. I was pretty sure that you would chime in on this one.

My only issue with what you are saying is that the primary goal here is to lower the bike and give it a better looking stance (sorry, I'm an H-D guy... it's got to look low & bad-***).

If one is set on lowering the bike, then do you have any suggestions as to which lowering springs would work best; or even a preference as to a straight rate vs. a progressive rate spring?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Default Spring Recomendations Needed

Thanks for the reply Hal. I was pretty sure that you would chime in on this one.

My only issue with what you are saying is that the primary goal here is to lower the bike and give it a better looking stance (sorry, I'm an H-D guy... it's got to look low & bad-***).

If one is set on lowering the bike, then do you have any suggestions as to which lowering springs would work best; or even a preference as to a straight rate vs. a progressive rate spring?
I don't have enough knowledge/experience on lowering your ride or making a spring recomendation to you. You may want to try a PM to Fast Harley or Mudpuddle on this. I do know we have received a lot of great feedback on our IAS valve (aka Intiminator) on both lowered and standard rides.
As you want to do... when we set up a Trophy Truck or Class 1 Buggy for desert racing we adjust our coil over springs to adjust ride height and our shocks for handling the woops. As we do not manufacture springs for Harley's I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction on something I don't know enough about to answer. Lots of talent on this forum that would be more qualified to answer that question than me. Anyone out there that can make a recomendation on lowering his ride?
You can make it low and look bad-a$$ and still have a great ride when you use the RICOR IAS valve in the front.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

>>>
<<< Home Depot in the electrical department using schedule 80 which is gray in color. I do hope that will match your bike color. Buy 1 foot of it from the orange vested senior citizen or other local impoverished nationality. Bring it home and decide how low you want to go and squarely lop off a piece. Sand down a 45* chamfer on both sides and remove all loose debris. When cleaned place it in the same position as you would the Race Tech lowering spacer with directions found on-line.

With the remaining 10" cut them into 5 more set of spacers and immediately offer a package deal to the first 5 lucky bikers on e-Bay. For 3 payments of ONLY $29.99 (+ shipping and handling, naturally) you will include Vince's Slap-chop to make the mess, a Sham-Wow and some Kaboom to clean up the mess, mix in a little Billy Mays, a full length and uncut DVD featuring Vincent Offer Schlomi in the acclaimed "Underground Comedy Movie". The Reviews ranges from (The New York Post said it) "may be the least amusing comedy ever made", which could not be further from the truth. Top it off with a pair of custom tuned spring lowering components in your choice of gray or gray!

Last edited by FastHarley; 03-19-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There has to be some budget limits I'm afraid. I know the suspension is important, but I'm also not going to be racing with it or anything.

Is the Traxxion system capable of lowering the front (probably a dumb question, I imagine)?

Do you remember approximately how much you paid for your Ohlins?

Hal@Ricor got your pm my question after going to the site is what is the tuning difference between the Touring and the ST/Dyna versions. If you look at my album I have a RG fairing on the bike so is the tuning due to the fairing weight?

Also is there a reason for the 5w oil? Will running 10w or 15w work? I run 15w on the setup.
I have less than 600 into the Ohlins (almost half of retail) The last pair I saw on Ebay went for 700

Last edited by Buddha4; 03-19-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Default 5 wt oil except for 46MM forks

Originally Posted by Buddha4
Hal@Ricor got your pm my question after going to the site is what is the tuning difference between the Touring and the ST/Dyna versions. If you look at my album I have a RG fairing on the bike so is the tuning due to the fairing weight?

Also is there a reason for the 5w oil? Will running 10w or 15w work? I run 15w on the setup.
I have less than 600 into the Ohlins (almost half of retail) The last pair I saw on Ebay went for 700
Guess I missed the point that your ST was a bagger.... Tune is different on the shim stack due to the weight of your entire front end mainly the wheels and tires, not the faring. Your set up is the same as a cop bike, Electra Glide or whatever they are. I just call them all baggers as I can not keep up with all the Harley models over the years. If you have 41MM dampner forks which I suspect you do, you need the 5 wt oil to make it work the best. Heavier oil is only recommended for the 46MM forks. I missed the year model when I looked. Just be sure you don't have the cartridge front forks. It still can be done but it has to be switched back to a dampner system (like Harley returned to) and is more expensive due to the other parts you need. Believe it was only some 03, 94 and 05 models that they used cartridges on.
Call Brian when you order or put bagger tune in the coupon code and you will receive the correctly tuned IAS valve.

Quick Reply: Suspension Choices for Softail (Front & Rear)