Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Swapping over to stainless hardware

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Swapping over to stainless hardware

Hey all.
This past winter's bike storage was tough on my hardware. I noticed a lot of oxidation on all my bolts. Nothing looks more $hitty than nice chrome covers held on by corroded bolts.

So I ordered a complete Gardner Wescott polished stainless steel socket head kit(s). VERY nice quality, and didn't kill me as far as the cost (about $280). However heres some feedback about using socket head screws on a TC softail chassis. My biggest gripe is some of the ugly corroded rocker box bolts will have to stay in, as there is not enough room to use an allen wrench to tighten the new bolts. The allen key will hit the backbone of the frame. Lastly, this whole job has been a REAL pain in the a$$, as all the existing bolts are partially siezed, and this makes removing the bolts a chore. I used a tiny dab of anti-sieze to help the new bolts go in smoother. I would recommend purchasing a 12 point hex bolt kit if you really want to do it a little better. However the end result looks fantastic, and i'm very happy, and I can forget about my bolts corroding, or the chrome flaking off the bolts.

The following users liked this post:
Tim_Orby (08-15-2019)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Newhawk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You used anti-sieze on the bolts? You better check them often. I think blue loc-tite would be lube enough. Good luck!