Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.
Sponsored by: Progressive Suspension

P

Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Hang Around
Send a message via Yahoo to roadking539
Default Handlebar loose????

I really appreciate the help with the brake pads guys. You were very helpful. I went today to survey the bike for the upcoming brake job (in storage still from the winter) and noticed my handlebars have quite a bit of play in them. Honestly, I remember someone noticing this last year and said that there was a bushing or something that needed to be replaced.....

The play is up and down and its to the point where my police tach will move up and to the right when the handlebars are lifted to the upper limit of the "looseness."

I don't mind working on stuff this important as long as its not tricky or something... I dont want to hurt myself or my bride by being dumb and cheap....

Any ideas what it is and how easy it would be to fix??

THanks again in advance...
Shane
Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Road Master

Bro, you need to post your make and model of your ride! On a Road King, there are two honkin' bolts under the triple tree that bolt the "riser" bushings to the upper TT. Tighten them. ALso, the bars are mounted on rubber virbation isolation bushings so they do have some movement in all axis- up, down left, right front, back- but they should return to the same place every time.

To tighten those honker bolts, you gotta take off the nacelle. After you've done it a time or six, you'll get pretty good at it and should be able to do it in less than an hour total. First time sucks though. The hardest part is the 5/16" nuts on the insdie top of the nacelle that attach the nacelle's "spear" and the riser cover to the nacelle. Also there are little bosses on the front and the back of the nacell that align the halves together- be careful not to break them. The fork lock cover pops off by prying under it with your fingers, exposing two phillips screws that will come out too. Its not rocket science, but it not so fun the first time either.

Hopefully this answered your question- lets see what others have to say.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh203/kbore/RoadKingDown.jpg

"Scraping your boards should be a warning, not a goal". ~ Texas Fat Boy ~
Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 PM

P