Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.
Sponsored by: Progressive Suspension

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Brit Bob Brit Bob is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirate
Posts: 2
Default How Much Fork Oil

Just taken on a 2008 Fat Bob FXDF with a leaking front fork seal. Oily trouser leg to prove it. I have the seals and will be changing both soon. Can anyone confirm the specified amount of fork oil required in each leg after rebuild. Thanks for any reply. It's my first post so be gentle with me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
stevelonewolf's Avatar
stevelonewolf stevelonewolf is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DeLand, Florida
Posts: 649
Steve.Lone.Wolf LoneWolfRacing
Default

I believe it's 10.6oz per tube(dry). 9.7oz per tube(wet)
__________________
<a href=http://hdforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=111397&dateline=1258252738 target=_blank>http://hdforums.com/forum/image.php?...ine=1258252738</a>
www.lonewolfscycle.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2010, 07:28 PM
DaytonaPS DaytonaPS is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Default

49mm forks, it's 26.6 oz each tube
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Brit Bob Brit Bob is offline
Hang Around
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirate
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks guys. It has the 49mm forks I will go with 26.6 oz per tube.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Faast Ed Faast Ed is offline
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Internet (& Dyer, Indiana)
Posts: 7,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Bob View Post
Thanks guys. It has the 49mm forks I will go with 26.6 oz per tube.
Few oz's of overfill will give you a horribly stiff ride. Don't ask me how I know that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:49 PM
peppi's Avatar
peppi peppi is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 720
Default

It should be listed in the owners manual. You don't want to overfill the forks and may consider changing the fork oil weight if you feel the front end dives too much. They come with 5 wt in them and a 10 weight would do the trick nicely. Most feel the front end is too soft with the 5 wt in them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Faast Ed Faast Ed is offline
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Internet (& Dyer, Indiana)
Posts: 7,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppi View Post
It should be listed in the owners manual. You don't want to overfill the forks and may consider changing the fork oil weight if you feel the front end dives too much. They come with 5 wt in them and a 10 weight would do the trick nicely. Most feel the front end is too soft with the 5 wt in them.
Lighter bike, I'd stay with lighter fluid. I tried the heavier in my Heritage one season, then after chroming my sliders I put the light oil back in. Really noticed a softer ride when switching back. I didn't like feeling every imperfection in the road.
If I had a heavy fairing, it would have been a different decision.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
peppi's Avatar
peppi peppi is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 720
Default

Good point Ed but the next grade up is a 10 wt from the stock 5 weight. If you went to the SE oil which is a 15 wt or the off road SE oil which is a 20 wt., then I would agree with you completely.

The stock suspensions with the 5 wt are very mushy.

You may even want to mix oils to arrive at a 7.5 wt just to firm it up a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Faast Ed Faast Ed is offline
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Internet (& Dyer, Indiana)
Posts: 7,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppi View Post
Good point Ed but the next grade up is a 10 wt from the stock 5 weight. If you went to the SE oil which is a 15 wt or the off road SE oil which is a 20 wt., then I would agree with you completely.

The stock suspensions with the 5 wt are very mushy.

You may even want to mix oils to arrive at a 7.5 wt just to firm it up a bit.
Yeah, I can't say for sure which one mine was. It was supposed to be the next step up from stock, but I don't remember specifically if it was 10 or 15. It's been a while.

The good news is, it's easy enough to drain and start over, if he ends up too stiff. Experimenting can be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
peppi's Avatar
peppi peppi is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faast Ed View Post
Yeah, I can't say for sure which one mine was. It was supposed to be the next step up from stock, but I don't remember specifically if it was 10 or 15. It's been a while.

The good news is, it's easy enough to drain and start over, if he ends up too stiff. Experimenting can be fun.

Agree there with the experimenting. Tried all 3 weights in mine just to see the difference, it's very noticable when compared in the same bike in a short time.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fork tubes. Condition thereof for good oil seal replacement? Artlee Evo Classic Models 3 07-22-2014 09:32 PM
parts needed for fork slider swap 0425440 Touring Models 4 02-04-2014 08:56 PM
Fork Seals Change - 08 Street Bob vladt Dyna Glide Models 7 05-25-2010 05:22 AM
Fork Seal Kit?? kansaskid72 Dyna Glide Models 13 02-09-2010 12:12 AM
Problem Installing Chrome Front End Hammer107 Softail Models 6 08-08-2009 09:06 AM


Tags
15, 2009, 49, 49mm, changing, davidson, fork, forks, good, harley, leaking, mm, oil, screaming, trike, wt


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.