Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Easy Fork Oil Change on Baggers

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Easy Fork Oil Change on Baggers

If you ever tried a service on the front AIR FORKS on a bagger , you can appreciate this tip......
This does not work on the newer cartridge forks...Sorry!
Cartridge forks started in '02 on the left side of the touring models with fairings only. FLHT,
FLHTPI, Ultras, etc. I heard they're not going to be on the '06s but haven't seen the parts books yet.

Pick up a vacuum pump either hand or electric ( I used a vacuum pump from air conditioning service) but an old refridge motor will work just as well too if you use the suction side and a hose adapted to the air fill valve on the front end.

It goes like this...
Remove the air from the forks first, remove the schrader valve from the air fill valve with a valve core remover , available from any parts store. Support the bike on a lift preferrably and drain the oil out of one side at a time. Now here's where it gets tricky. I made an adapter to screw into the drain hole in the fork from the proper thread bolt (it's metric)( FXRT/FXRD= 4 MM X 0.7 pitch X 20 MM long) (FLT/FLTC/FLHT/FLHR/FLHTC= 8 MM X 1.25 pitch X 30 MM Long) and drilled through the center to make it hollow , then I cut off the threaded hollow bolt about 1 1/2 inches long. This bolt gets a piece of clear tubing attached to it (so you can see the oil) about 12" - 15' long. This bolt gets threaded into the drain hole to be used to suck the premeasured oil for your application into the fork when you apply the vacuum to the air fill valve. Only apply enough vacuum to keep the oil in while you replace the drain screw with a new washer installed of course.This gets real easy if you have an extra set of hands around to pump while you do the rest.

Repeat this on the other side and you're done.
No tins have to come off and it is probably the easiest service you will ever do on a harley. It usually takes me about 15-20 minutes or so once everything is set up and ready to go. Sure is quicker than removing all those tins or fairings.

Good luck and have a cold one for me when you try this.

The following 5 users liked this post by HDF Tech:
13RoadKing (03-21-2017), 18deluxerider (04-28-2020), Lunchboxx (04-17-2018), Sidehacker (05-29-2017), tjconnection (01-29-2019)