Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Fork seal leak??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fork seal leak??

Cleaned bike yesterday, no leaks anywhere.

Went to work, and back today. After getting home, I noticed a purplish colored fluid all over the back of the left lower fork tube. It was covering the left side brake caliper, and had also blown back onto the fender, and down the left side of the engine.

The front brake fluid resevoir is nearly full, so I am thinking fork seal. But, a friend said that brake fluid is normally a purplish color, so not sure.

Any ideas here? If it is a fork seal, how much does a dealer normally milk ya for to change that? Also, assuming it is a fork seal, is it dangerous to ride (probably a dumb question there)

*****Narrowed it down to the left side fork seal. Went for a short ride today (after cleaning up the mess), and sure enough, found fluid leading down out of the upper, running down the lower.

Anybody have any guesses on what the dealer will charge to fix this?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fork seal leak??

Don't know what a dealer will charge (call and ask) 'cause I do that stuff myself, but to answer the other question- Yeah, its dangerous. Causes handling problems because you now have little or no damping in that fork tube, just like when a shock on your car goes bad- bouncy, bouncy. Worse still, if the fluid gets on your brake pads they won't work as well, and you'll probably have to replace them too. Also, fork oil lubes your fork bushings and if you ride too long without it you'll cause wear to the bushings and slider tube, which could have to be replaced as well.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do it yourself it is an easy job. A factory service manual will walk you right thru the process. It rather spend 50 bucks on the service manual and do it myself than to pay someone else to do it.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

I found an indy in town, that will do it for $125.00 plus parts ($30.00). Considering that "the Book" calls for 2.5 hrs labor, I don't think $125.00 is bad at all.

Since discovering the leak, I have put about 30 miles on it, and then parked. (just HAD to do the Toys for Tots ride, ya know) I just don't want to take the chance of causing undue wear, a failure of the other side (which now has to provide ALL of the dampening), or rear ending somebody from an oily brake disk.

**EDIT****

Went into shop Tuesday (when it was 70 degrees). That's a good thing, cuz yesterday and today, we haven't broken 25. Seals were shot, as were the bushings, and handlebar grommets. Also having the bars changed out to something with a little more rise and pullback to them. Hopefully on the day it's done, the snow and ice has melted !!

***UPDATE***

Got the bike back today. Went with a higher bar, with a bit more pullback, and had Kurayakin grips installed. Along with the bar and grip change, I had to have the air valve for the air over hydraulic suspension moved as well. Ended up with new front seals and bushings, and new front axle bearings. All that work, along with a full servicing cost me $500.00, including parts. Good deal, or no?

BTW......rides totally different. Front is MUCH smoother. Before, it felt as though it was bottoming out after an inch of fork travel. Now, it just soaks up the bumps. I'm VERY Happy so far !!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

Just blew all of MY Christmas money btw.....[:@]

Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds just like my basic problem- take it in for fork seals and come out with new bars and a big hole in the wallet.

I decided to check my cam tensioners since it got too cold to ride for a while and now my bike is on a lift under my carport with no wheels (disassembled for powdercoat), half an exhaust (waiting on an o2 bung so I can send them to JetHot), and a growing list of other little stuff I suddenly just had to buy, all besides the tools and new tensioners.

500.00 parts and labor sounds fair enough for what you got.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:41 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

300 miles later: Minor leakage on both forks, that stopped after a day or two. Didn't lose hardly ANY fluid as compared to last time.

Back to the shop I go.[:@]