Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Is my frame ruined?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM
VFW Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my frame ruined?

Hello, John from Colorado here. First I'd like to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on this forum. I've ridden a Sporty for years and I've found many answers on this site. I hope I can contribute in the future. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I just picked up a 2002 FLHRCI that I plan on making my own. While sitting in the garage, a friend mentioned that it looked like it leaned a little more than most Road Kings. After digging around a little and upon closer inspection, I found two cracks on the mount where the jiffy stand and engine guards mount up to. It appears the welds on the top and bottom of the mount are cracked. I'm not sure I'm using the correct nomenclature so I attached two pictures with arrows pointing to the top cracked weld. So my questions are: Is this a common occurrence? Should I have it welded or do I need a new frame? If I have someone weld it, how much do I need to strip off the bike in order to avoid damaging any electrical components?

Again thanks for time.

Attached Thumbnails Is my frame ruined?-bike-pic2.jpg   Is my frame ruined?-bike-picture.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You do not need a new frame,welding depends on far the crack goes as to how much to come off bike.It would be for tig torch clearance only.As far as I know it is very uncommon for the frame to crack any place.Disconnect the battery and maybe unplug the ECU just to be sure.Your welder should know.Welcome aboard and good luck

Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mostly, I'll stick w/ Dog155 but since yer up there in Colorado & ya have a couple of mos bad weather yet, & because ya wanna make it yers, now, is as good a time as any to do so. Those cracks don't look serious, serious & probably came from a couple hard bumps in the road, hard ta tell they're even there, its not like yer junk is flappin in the wind--under preferable conditions I would rather pull the motor lose enough so I'm not welding a swayed frame back together, its up to you. If everything on the cycle is runnin straight & w/out unnecessary tension (drive line, etc) just glue it together. However, I like trouble so, I'd probably go ahead & pull the motor, knock out the old welds & tension my frame up w/ some clamps or in a jig (jig preferably).

Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
VFW Rider
2nd Gear

Thanks Dog155/Chunk. I feel much better now. I was expecting worse. I worked as an aircraft mechanic and I have plenty of hours underneath my old Ford so I feel comfortable with a wrench but I think I'm going to go the easier route on this one if I can. I'm scared of taking the bike apart because one thing I've learned is it always takes longer than expected and costs more than you planned. But then again, with all the snow this is the best time and I love to tinker with stuff.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,554 Likes on 5,152 Posts

Take it to the dealer they have a tool and know how to do it right don't let Bubba weld on it

Old 02-18-2012, 12:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
You do not need a new frame,welding depends on far the crack goes as to how much to come off bike.It would be for tig torch clearance only.As far as I know it is very uncommon for the frame to crack any place.Disconnect the battery and maybe unplug the ECU just to be sure.Your welder should know.Welcome aboard and good luck
Spot on! I would remove the paint 3" away from the area to be welded.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,554 Likes on 5,152 Posts

One more time do not weld it take it to the dealer there is a procedure for repair that type of damage and it is damage. The welds did not crack.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
One more time do not weld it take it to the dealer there is a procedure for repair that type of damage and it is damage. The welds did not crack.
Ok I'll bite. What the hell are you talking about man? From the picture posted I can't see a damn thing besides the weld has a bump where it was terminated. Which is common on these bikes. What is it you are seeing?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have never seen a dealer that will weld a frame. they just replace it.. you have to take it to a weld shop or do it your self..i cant see a crack ether, but it can easily be fixed.. i had the entire bottom of my frame cradle replaced on the bike i ride.. the frame was welded in the first place, it can be welded again..

Old 02-18-2012, 05:47 PM
djbiker
Road Warrior

Welcome to the forum from Land Between the Lakes Tennessee, just West of Music City USA! Good luck with that frame, surely needs to be repaired.

Last edited by djbiker; 02-18-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Doh!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my frame ruined?