Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Burly slammer kit - review

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Crazyatv13
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burly slammer kit - review

A couple months ago, near the end of riding season, I purchased the slammer kit for my '94 sporty. When I first got it I was rather impressed, the kit included two 10" rear shocks and new drop in springs for the front. I made the choice to get the chrome rear socks as they would look the best on the bike. Installation couldn't get much easier, rear shocks are only held on with two bolts probably took ten min to put each side on, if that. The fronts weren't much harder only thing I found to be a pain was finding the right size socket to fit the fork cap.
Once installation was complete I was even more impressed. The bike sat real low and looks more like a bobber ( look I'm going for). The one thing I noticed is the nuts and bolts holding my rear turn signals on were close to the tire, I mean real close, I can't even fit a finger between it. This is one thing that made me a little nervous. There is no sign so far of it hitting the tire but one can't help to feel a little nervous about it especially when your doing 100 on the highway. After a couple hundred miles of riding I got to say the shocks aren't bad, ya they are stiff and your back will hurt more but it def beats the feeling of struts.
Now for the bad part. I haven't had these shocks long and my bike always gets garaged. Within the first two weeks I got caught in the rain, sucks, but it happens. The day after I started to notice little spots of surface rust on the chrome itself. It was easily wiped off with a rag tho and it looked normal again. Now here I am taking my bike out of storage and both of the rear shocks are now rusted to the point where just a wipe with a cloth will just make it worse. I'm extremely upset by this cause it now makes for a terrible appearence. I cleaned the bike well before it got put away so I think they cheaped out on there chrome. In conclusion I like the kit, maybe the black ones won't rust as bad, but due to the rusting of mine I wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless maybe they got the black ones. Only other complaint is the stupid burly sticker they put on them.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Crazyatv13
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick note - I've been in contact with customer service about the rust issue, so far I'm not getting anywhere with them so I'm not expecting a replacement since it's past the 30 day warranty. I would suggest progressive suspension for anyone looking to lower their bike. I've only heard good things about them and my friends haven't rusted yet and it's been a year he's had them on.