Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum > Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.
Sponsored by: Progressive Suspension

P

Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Hang Around
Default Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions

Hi guys,

New to the forum and already would like to reach out for suggestions. I have a slightly modified 1978 FL Frame which was modified to fit a Evo if I ever went that path. But I decided to go Shovelhead for the retro look, and it's a 88 Cubic Inch S&S SuperStroker in 74' Cases. Unfortunately, the front Rocker Cover is contacting my Downtubes and I estimate the Downtubes (front portion of my frame) would need to be moved forward ~1.1" to fit the engine. So my choices are to sell the frame and get a new frame, or keep this frame and do some major mods to make it fit. Attached are pictures showing my frame and how the front Rocker Cover is contacting the Downtubes. I am seeking guidance on how to tackle this problem or should I just get a new frame that has the same look. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-b.jpg   Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-a.jpg   Shovelhead Frame Modification Suggestions-c.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Club Member

It seems very odd your motor is touching your frame. I would contact S&S first and ask them if their 88" should fit. If they say it should do, get your frame geometry checked out. It may be it has suffered a front end or something and needs straightening out. That should be cheaper than getting another one!
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:23 PM

P