Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Redundant fork slider question Thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:36 PM
neurostudy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redundant fork slider question Thank you!

I am about to do my 2002 RK lower sliders and would love any pointers. Here is my plan and where I have hiccups...please let me know your thoughts.
1) Bike on jack
2) Remove front calipers
3) Remove front tire and axle
4) Remove 6mm allen bolt inside lower slider being sure to capture fork oil in a container
5) This is where I am hung up....do I need to replace the fork seal and if so does the new one slide up the fork leg, or do I pound it down into the fork slider.....replace or not to replace?Tips?
6) Refill fork with same amount of oil....also hung up here, wont the oil leak out when the 6mm bolt is not in place, do I start the 6mm into the hole to "plug it" while sliding the leg into place?
7) Reinstall new chrome lower in reverse order.
8) Is there a better fork oil to use than HD?
Thanks a ton, hate to have the dealer charge me $300 for a job I can do myself.
DV
"When laying sod...remember green side up"

Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redundant fork slider question Thank you!

You need to remove the fork legs from the triple trees. Might as well lube theneck brearings while you're at it.

4. Be sure to use some sort of impact wrench to remove this bolt. Simple torque will often round it out.

You often have to make the right tool, it's tough to find one. Get a 6mm allen wrench, and a 6 mm x 3/8" drive socket. Cut the allen in half, insert it in the socket.

5. Replace the seal whenever possible. They are cheap. It comes out when you pop theforks apart. You need some sort of roundseal driver to get it back in. I made mine out of muffler pipe. PVC tubing also works well.

6. You don't add the oil until it's almost all back together. Refill with oil, add the springs, put on the top cap, put the legs back into the triple tree, you're done. You do have to seal the 6mm bolt so it doesn't leak.

7. I like Bel-Ray 15W oil.

This is not a technically difficult job. It does require those two special tools, but they're easy to make.