Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
bassistbiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering kits

any words of wisdom on lowering my 2000 super glide? I stand about 5'8" and my saddle height is about 27-28". I would like to sit about 2" lower. Any advice on the method I should use. Burly slammers? Arlen Ness kits? Or just one of those shock relocation kits for the rear? Pros, cons?
Thanks.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

You're taller than me and I'm fine with stock seat height. It's much cheaper to find a pair of sturdy riding boots with thick soles and a sole that gives a good grip when stationary. As an engineer I wouldn't use any lowering brackets - that's probably the most highly stressed part of the bike, where the bottom shock fixes.

If you change to shorter shocks, do not cheap out! As shocks get shorter they also tend to have less suspension travel, which means a poorer quality ride. Cheap shocks also have cheap damping, which along with short travel means even less comfort! An alternative solution is to have your seat reworked, to give you better reach to the ground. Mean City Cycles get a lot of good reports in HDF.

But if you haven't had your bike very long, start with new boots! You only need to reach the floor when you stop.........

Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
bassistbiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You're taller than me and I'm fine with stock seat height. It's much cheaper to find a pair of sturdy riding boots with thick soles and a sole that gives a good grip when stationary. As an engineer I wouldn't use any lowering brackets - that's probably the most highly stressed part of the bike, where the bottom shock fixes.

If you change to shorter shocks, do not cheap out! As shocks get shorter they also tend to have less suspension travel, which means a poorer quality ride. Cheap shocks also have cheap damping, which along with short travel means even less comfort! An alternative solution is to have your seat reworked, to give you better reach to the ground. Mean City Cycles get a lot of good reports in HDF.

But if you haven't had your bike very long, start with new boots! You only need to reach the floor when you stop.........
Good suggestion. I was hoping to get a lower center of gravity feel too. And I totally agree that the shocks will have to be good quality. I do get the feeling I'm "riding high" but reworking the seat thing might be a pretty good alternative.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

It's one thing to lower a bike for looks, but for normal riding ground clearance is reduced, as well as riding comfort. I'm on the look for a new pair of boots myself, which is partly why I make the suggestion! Riding experience will remove that 'high' feeling before long!