Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

08 FLHT w/ ABS- Front brakes don't work-Brake lever feels seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Choopy
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation 08 FLHT w/ ABS- Front brakes don't work-Brake lever feels seized

So basically the front brake doesn't work and it has ABS. WE have tried the following- There is brake fluid in the lines and in the master cylinder. The front calipers are not seized. We have tried to bleed the lines but the brake handle is so stiff that I can not physically pull it to close. Brake fluid does trickle out some however. The abs light flashes when I start the bike and goes away after driving it for a few seconds. We have no clue what this can be. We through process of elimination have narrowed it down to the following- The front master brake cylinder-perhaps a valve is stuck inside it preventing it from opening/closing. Or is it maybe the ABS module. Any input and help is truly appreciated. Thank you guys

Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove or loosen the banjo bolt at the master cyl. You will then know if it's the master or further down. Also check for kinked and damaged lines. Most ABS should not cause this issue as they are made to pass through and still allow normal brake operation in the event of failure.

If I were a betting man I would say the brake line is crushed somewhere. Check the hard pipe sections of the brake line.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Go back to your other thread. It's probably a bad module/controller.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:33 AM
OziGlider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake ABS module failure

Hi guys I have had the same problem with the front lever sticking, it is not the master Cylinder, I have been through and checked the whole sydtem it in in the front brake circuit of the ABS module something is blocking the fluid from passing through, this is not a fail safe mode. I have had the bike to our dealer and they wanted to charge me $2000 AUD to replace the module and master cylinder, sorry that should be local Stealer. I am getting a replacement module from USA but am thinking of by passing the ABS because this could kill me.
Let me know what discussions you have had with your dealer, Harley Davidson here in Australia will not speak with you direct. And I cannot find a government body who takes responsibility for the design.