Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

No brake lights or cruise control?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Lantern
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No brake lights or cruise control?

I am having an issue with my brake light and cruise control on my 2011 Ultra Limited. While riding this week end my cruise control stopped working. The orange light comes on but the cruise control will not engage and will not turn green. I also noticed my brake light does not work when using front or rear brake. After checking for codes and then reading hear on the forum everything seem to point at the rear brake switch failing.

So today I did a little trouble shooting. I pulled the two wires connected to the brake switch loose and then used a jumper wire between the two and still no brake light.

I then removed the jumper wire and used a voltage tester to confirm I had power to the switch. I did have power but only 7.4 volts not 12 volts. Does anyone have any idea why?

I then hooked the hot wire to the rear brake switch and put my voltage tester on the other prong coming out of the rear brake switch. When I depressed the brake pedal the power went through the brake switch and did every time I tested it, but again the voltage was only 7.4 volts not 12 volts.

My conclusion is that the rear brake switch is working fine, but the low voltage is causing the issue with my brake light and in turn is causing my cruise control not to engage.

What do you guys think? Can anyone give me a direction to go and maybe what to troubleshoot? I hate to take it to the dealer for something I could fix. I am just at the point I am not sure which way to go. I know someone out there can point me in the right direction. HELP!!

Thanks