Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

My review of Ricor shocks for HD Touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:30 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My review of Ricor shocks for HD Touring bikes

I have been trying to find a reasonably priced set of shocks for my 2010 Streetglide for some time. I know I am a tough customer and I know there is only so much that can be done with a Harley bagger given the limitations of the bike. Nevertheless, I kept looking hoping to find a product that was worth the $$. I have tried pretty much all the usual brands - Harley standard height 13" air shocks, Progressive (412's and 440's), Works (steel trackers with ARS), Ohlins (#2's) and now Ricor. Well I am happy to say that I finally found the right shock - the RICORS are fabulous.
I ordered the 13" shock, set up for my weight (175 lbs), with the CRUISER tune (I wanted a plush ride). They took about 4 weeks to get and, of course, I mounted them as soon as they arrived. After a couple of rides and a few hundred miles I was not particularly impressed. While the shocks felt better than the 13" HD air shocks I was running, they bottomed out quite a bit when set up with light pre-load and felt a bit harsh when I cranked the pre-load up. Certainly not worth the $600 + price tag. So I called Brian at Ricor thinking I would take advantage of their money back guarantee and return them.
Brian suggested that before I give up, I should try the TOURING tune which would change the valving, reduce the bottoming out, and preserve a smooth ride. He extended the money back guarantee period and even offered to pay for the return shipping. No downside to me so I sent the shocks back. Within a couple of days, I had the revalved shocks back to me and remounted on the bike.
I was doubtful that the revalving would do the trick but still hopeful. So I left my house early this morning and did about 200 miles on all kinds of roads including our miserable freeway surfaces. WOW - a giant smile the whole time - these shocks work!!
My ride still feels like a Harley - its not a sport bike by any stretch - but the harshness and excessive stiffness is gone. The road feel is excellent yet the bike is significantly more comfortable.
So to summarize, Ricor's customer service is outstanding, the product works as advertised, and I am finally able to say that I found a set of shocks that satisfy my needs at a very reasonable price.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:48 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Bookmarked

Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM
SEEGER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking one of my future mods, you've helped me decide what type of tune since I also want a smoother ride, great write up

Old 08-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 723 Posts

Onedae,

Thanks for the review on the Ricors.

The very next thing I'm buying for my 2010 SG is a new suspension. As you already know, the stock air suspension is abysmal, and those 12" air shocks must go.

A couple of questions:

Is the "touring tune" that you have some kind of new option? I went to the Ricor website, and it only listed the Cruiser, Sport, and Super Sport tune available for the rear shocks. I want a nice smooth ride first and foremost...I take it that the touring tune is the one I want?

Did you get the intiminators for the front forks also?

It seems like you tried every other shock out there prior to the Ricors. Ever try the Progressive 940s?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:57 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

TCB, I bought a pair of shocks in May of this year for my EGC and when I called and spoke to Brian at Ricor he recommended and talked me into a sport tune for my bagger. I don't know why but who am I to argue. He knows shocks and I don't. Bottom line is, it is not the right tune for my bagger. I wanted and still want what onedae got. I have a call into Ricor now but I am now 5 days over my 30 day trial period. I am hoping that I will still have some recourse.

Last edited by soos; 08-22-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
TCB, I bought a pair of shocks in May of this year for my EGC and when I called and spoke to Brian at Ricor he recommended and talked me into a sport tune for my bagger. I don't know why but who am I to argue. He knows shocks and I don't. Bottom line is, it is not the right tune for my bagger. I wanted and still want what onedae got. I have a call into Ricor now but I am now 5 days over my 30 day trial period. I am hoping that I will still have some recourse.
Soos,

According to the Ricor website, you have 90 days to return the shocks for a free re-valve. The 30 day window is for a refund, or changing the springs (if I'm not mistaken).

I would definitely call Brian and tell him you want the free re-valve for a "Cruiser" or "Touring" tune. It's worth a shot, and sure beats eating $600+ for a pair of shocks you don't like.

For what it's worth, I find that offering a "Sport" tune for a bagger is quasi-ridiculous for most bagger owners. The "Super Sport" tune for a bagger is completely ridiculous IMHO.

What the hell did he tell you to talk you into a sport tune for an EGC?

Oh, I almost forgot to ask...did you get the intiminators for the front forks?

At any rate, let us know what you end up doing with the shocks.

TCB

Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Thanks TCB, I did find that 90 day note after looking for it from your post. I heard back from Hal and we will get this worked out. I am all for communicating an issue. Internet bashing before trying to resolve an issue is in poor taste and is counter productive.

As for my shocks I simply gave him my specs ie: my weight (175#) with personal gear (25#), my wifes weight plus fully loaded which came to 390# total weight. He suggested a sport tune and I accepted at face value.

No intiminators.

Last edited by soos; 08-22-2010 at 11:20 AM.