General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D class for Riding Academy instructors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM
PhilG57
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H-D class for Riding Academy instructors

I'm looking for information on the class H-D sponsors several times a year to teach new Riding Academy instructors how to teach the MSF curriculum to the H-D students. I hope to take that class in the near future and am wondering about locations offered, duration, content (classroom or riding), etc. Comments on the class and process welcomed. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 AM
Schoondog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PhilG57
I'm looking for information on the class H-D sponsors several times a year to teach new Riding Academy instructors how to teach the MSF curriculum to the H-D students. I hope to take that class in the near future and am wondering about locations offered, duration, content (classroom or riding), etc. Comments on the class and process welcomed. Thanks.
I was wondering if you may have found anything out. I am heading to Phoenix to take the riding academy class for coaches next weekend. I am currently an MSF instructor in Wa state.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:37 PM
PhilG57
Advanced

A surprising lack of responses here, and an inquiry through my local HOG chapter to a current H-D instructor was not returned.

My contact at the local H-D dealership is helpful and says basically the H-D and MSF classes are very similar but the H-D class is more user friendly and if needed will spend more time with a student.

I take the H-D Riding Academy instructor class in a couple of months and would be interested in your experience with it...

Old 02-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Default I will try and remember to login

In leaving Friday night. It's 4 days of coach training. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 PM
PhilG57
Advanced

Am interested in your thoughts on the H-D Riding Academy class for instructors... PM me if appropriate. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'm interested in this also. I'm currently going through the MSF IPC.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:11 PM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Default HD Riding academy

For us in Washington state the MSF classroom and range will remain mostly unchanged. The HD version adds to it to give it the Harley kick. I haven't taught my first riding academy yet but from what I have seen its going to be fun. A lot of extra stuff added for the students benefit. A lot of cool HD exclusives.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 PM
jamiesmithnc
Novice

From a taker of the class perspective-

I took the class at the CLT HD, and I thought that it was great. I had never ridden before, and came out feeling like I had really accomplished something.

A friend took the class at a local community college, and we talked about it- they pretty much had the same curriculum, as well as the same content, except our books were kind of branded HD.

The bikes his class had were a mish-mosh of things (he rode an enduro), while the HD class were all new-ish street 500s- so you at the very least don't get stuck on a crappy bike. My class was about $50 more than his ($275 vs $225), but I think that I got every penny out of the class.

I think that you would be teaching the same stuff, but have a better feel for your audience, and how to cater the instruction

Last edited by jamiesmithnc; 04-07-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:43 AM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Default Update

Ok, I now have a few Riding academy classes as well as a few Basic rider classes at a non HD school so far this year. The biggest difference I am seeing is the students coming to the Riding academy to me seem to feel a bit entitled. Hard to explain but it seems to me they think they don't have to work as hard for the completion. In washington state the Riding academy when passed will take care of all the state requirements for testing to get your endorsement. It seems to me the students at a private school I teach at work harder and are more grateful? Maybe the difference in cost lets them feel that way. As an instructor safety is my first priority so if they can't safely complete the objective after numerous attempts they need to go regardless of how much $$ they paid. As for the Riding academy I really enjoy the classes and the freedom to have more fun while still meeting the safety basics and teaching them how to ride. The fact that we are at a brand new Academy with brand new Street 500's helps too. And our Dealership is behind the academy 100%. It is a lot of fun.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 AM
HD-4-ever
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently going through an MSF class in Pa, this will be my second time going through it. My first time I was stationed in N.C and took it through the military (civilian contract instructors) and it was free. Pa also offers it for free, so hearing that you have to pay for it kinda shocks me. As for the range and curriculum, I really don't see a difference other than the books. Upon successful completion you are awarded your motorcycle endorsement.

Last edited by HD-4-ever; 05-15-2015 at 06:52 AM.