General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question.. trailor to park outside of neighborhood for midnight riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:24 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dumb question.. trailor to park outside of neighborhood for midnight riding?

Here's a dumb question. I bought my first house last year, I'm mid to late 20's, neighbors are all older. Not old, just older. I like all of them, everybody is friendly and nobody has had any issues that has talked to me. I have 2 roommates, we have parties a couple times a month, but neighbors have commented they appreciate how quiet we are. I'm also a night shifter, so I wake up at about 3pm every day (including days off usually) and I enjoy riding in the middle of the night. My issue is I don't like making that much noise starting the bike at 0100. Would a small trailer to tow my bike up to an empty parking lot be a reasonable course of action? I drive a Toyota 4Runner.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Just stay off the throttle. Unless your bike is LOUD it shouldn't bother your neighbors.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you at least talk to your neighbors every once and a while and are on good terms with them, I would just ask your immediate neighbors if they ever hear you start it up at night and if it bothers them. I would think it's not so loud as to wake people up at that hour as long as you eased it out of the neighborhood. I think trailering it in the middle of the night is too much of a hassle for a possible non issue.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

You are a respectful neighbor. I leave at 5:30 AM. I get ready, start the bike, let it build oil pressure and Idle it away. It runs in the driveway for about 30 seconds. Stay off the gas and dont idle it for 10 minutes to warm it up.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by kainvamp
Sounds like you at least talk to your neighbors every once and a while and are on good terms with them, I would just ask your immediate neighbors if they ever hear you start it up at night and if it bothers them. I would think it's not so loud as to wake people up at that hour as long as you eased it out of the neighborhood. I think trailering it in the middle of the night is too much of a hassle for a possible non issue.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

If anyone complains...stab them.
Gotta nip it in the bud before it gets outta hand.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM
kcflhri
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Give the old men something to be jealous about and the old women something to dream about. Full throttle going out on ride and screeching brakes on return... Extremely loud sex in the middle of the night the rest of the week!
Actually short shifting in and out is pretty quiet, both driving and sex. ;-)

Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I have a neighbor who starts his Harley in the driveway then lets it idle for 10 minutes while he gears up, walks around the bike, scratches his crotch, and whatever he does. The bike sits about 15 from his neighbors window.
Several of our neighbors have commented on how long he lets it idle.
I start mine in the garage, with the door closed. I gear up and then open the door. I idle up the driveway and down the street. If it's really early in the morning I'll push the bike to the street, start it and idle away. I've asked several of my closest neighbors if I ever disturb them. They've always said no.
I think they do hear me but accept that I'm trying to be respectful of them.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You seem to have a very good relationship with the neighbors but trailering is a little over the top IMO. A respectful throttle is all that's needed. Maybe lug the engine just a little to keep noise down until your clear. A slight hum sound from the street never bothers anyone, it's asshats who rattle windows that cause complaints.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:10 PM
burnsy87
Tourer

Okay, thanks guys. I don't rev at all, I can actually get to the bottom of my street, and down about 2 blocks before having to use the throttle, my Big Radius pipes are just kinda loud. Nobody has said anything about it, but I don't want it to be an issue.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 PM
ParkerH
Cruiser

As others have said, as long as you are gentle with it leaving they should have no reason to complain. I think it would be kinda silly to trailer it.

Quick Reply: Dumb question.. trailor to park outside of neighborhood for midnight riding?