General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burned out

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:46 AM
MN_RoadKing
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess in a way I'm lucky. I live in an area dominated by 2-lane roads with lakes, rolling hills, and beautiful scenes. Just yesterday in fact I found a road I had never been on. Gorgeous farms and horse ranches along the way. I ride to work every day and can take a different route 4-5 days in a row.

The flip side is we have winter.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,409 Likes on 5,531 Posts

Locally here in western N.Y. we are blessed with a lot of interesting places to travel to for day trips, or longer to break up the routine.

But when staying close to home for an hour or two trip I tend to change up the hours that I ride to provide different perspectives in what I am seeing, it helps.

Having a destination for photo shoot, breakfast/lunch/dinner, or to visit with friends , or to see a sight helps as well.
As does just taking a new road and exploring just to see what is up there. Found a lot of cool places and sights doing just that.
Different friends with different interests is a help as well, I have one buddy that likes to find old canal ways and R.R. locations. He regularly turns my bagger into a dual sport in the process, but so far so good. it's been interesting and so far manageable. Haven't had to walk out yet, but a couple of times it's been close. And messy.

And I am fortunate to have a buddy out west with multiple bikes that can take putting up with my azz for weeks at a time. I fly out and spend time with him working on his place, getting together with my ever growing circle of new friends, and riding the Rockies and beyond for some great adventures.

It's all good.

Last edited by RaSh; 09-21-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 AM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_RoadKing
I guess in a way I'm lucky. I live in an area dominated by 2-lane roads with lakes, rolling hills, and beautiful scenes. Just yesterday in fact I found a road I had never been on. Gorgeous farms and horse ranches along the way. I ride to work every day and can take a different route 4-5 days in a row.

The flip side is we have winter.
Winter means nothing to some of us. As long as there isn't ive and snow on the road we ride. It adds a whole other element when you ride through snowy mountains and your visor fogs up.

Not only that, Harleys run even better when it's cold out!

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
I knew the ranks here were mostly fair weather flower season riders but wow. Some of you way over paid for whatever image it is you thought you just had to have.

Sell your bikes and use the money to invest in a tampon company.
Only if they're American made! I will not invest into Chinese tampons!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-22-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:00 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

I knew the ranks here were mostly fair weather flower season riders but wow. Some of you way over paid for whatever image it is you thought you just had to have.

A little hung-over.....are we? I'm sure most of us flower season riders would like to see pics of you riding on icy/snowy roads on a -20 degree day in January.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had that happen to me also. What helps me is this; I work in Chicago during the week and go home to Indianapolis on the weekends. Sometimes I ride the bike back and forth. But other times it is one place or the other so I do get breaks from it. I'd like to have a bike at each location at times though....

Old 09-21-2014, 09:22 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,204 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Who Dey
Find yourself a hot babe to put on the back and you will love riding again and wont be able to stay off of the bike!
I know a guy who installed a vibrator in the rear seat of his bike. Maybe you can do that and have a really interesting "ride" with your lady.

Yeah, a rubber Kotex, LOL!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglidetroy
So how do some of you guys ride the same roads multiples of times, looking at the same scenery without losing interest?
Seriously, ride in the other direction. If you start road A first and road B home, instead do B first and A home

Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
A little hung-over.....are we? I'm sure most of us flower season riders would like to see pics of you riding on icy/snowy roads on a -20 degree day in January.
High temp was 27 in February. Warm enough for the salt to liquefy any ice on the roads.

Clear roads. I ride, no temperature requirement and no fair weather flowers needed. I actually have more fun riding in the winter.

Attached Thumbnails burned out-image-600477945.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

High temp was 27 in February. Warm enough for the salt to liquefy any ice on the roads.

Clear roads. I ride, no temperature requirement and no fair weather flowers needed. I actually have more fun riding in the winter.
Yeah, supposedly there are a many riders that ride year round here in Minnesota, too. Strange thing is, I only saw ONE guy riding in January on a Goldwing. And I'm in my truck all the time for my job, so if bikers are out there, I'd see them. IMO, you are in a very small minority.

Reality is, here in MN you'll see very few bikes on the road after November first or before April first.

Last edited by HDmikie; 09-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:44 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I sit out many good riding days just because I've had so many brushes with accidents this year. I hate sitting in the garage staring at two beautiful bikes and not taking them out but sometimes that little voice wins.

I don't ride in groups for many reasons and I know riding solo has it's dangers as well. When the time feels right I take them out but I don't force myself to do it just because the weathers right.

Quick Reply: burned out