General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you pull over for junk trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Do you pull over for junk trucks?

Last night, I had a guy with a trailer full of driveway gunk get in front of me.
Dont need that stuff on me or on the ground in front of me.
I pulled into a gas station a couple and let some cars get in between. A while back I had a guy with a Uhaul truck OPEN back door with a bunch of crap bouncing around in it. Matress, and who knows what would come flying out the back. I pulled over and waited for him too. I dont need a mattress or sofa in my face. I pull off and wait.
Anyone else?
Oh yeah, landscaping trailers suck. Nothing like a mower secured with bungees.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:40 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

The few times that I've seen something like that around here, I usually just pass them and leave them behind me.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
The few times that I've seen something like that around here, I usually just pass them and leave them behind me.
Same here.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

My favorite is the clown car with 4 iranians that had the mattress on top tied down with an extension cord and 3 of them trying to hold it with their arms out the windows and yes it ended up on the freeway causing havoc.

kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I'd rather be in front of situations like that.

IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Pass them or lay back and let them go.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,151 Likes on 11,102 Posts

The closer you ride to the Third World regions of the United States, the more likely the encounter with junk haulers. I just twist the grip and pass as fast as possible.
Beware of end dumps and double bottom dump semi-trailers hauling aggregate, they fire lethal material at motorcyclists.

Last edited by upflying; 09-21-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Me too. I treat them like they have the plague.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've caught up to some that looked so precarious I wouldn't get close enough to pass, just hang way back and hope they weren't going far. Both of my closest near misses with dropped items, a big wooden cable drum and a 5 gallon gas can (full, judging from the cloud of gas when it burst), fell off trucks coming at me. That gets exciting... I might get even one of these days, have a sidecar rig now. Wonder if I could get a mattress on it...

Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

I'm in the middle of the W Texas oil patch. We have to watch not only for junk but tools falling from trucks. Usually left on a bumper or flat truck bed. This includes hammers, wrenches and all sorts of stuff. Have seen 36 in and larger pipe wrenches. If traffic permits I'll stop and throw stuff off the road.

A few months back I was riding to the next town to meet friends for lunch. Wife was on call so she was following in her company car. Split 4 lane hwy, a pick up was passing me in the left lane. I caught something outta the corner of my eye. As they were passing me there was a flattened out cardboard box in the bed of the truck. We were doing around 70 mph and the wind was causing the flattened box to float at the top edge of PU Bed. This was a Big box of some sort. The box came up and looked to be coming out of the PU, it sure got my Attention. Even in heavy traffic my wife had seen this too. Gladly she backed off and gave me room to slow down and get away from it. The wife chased them and got their attention enough the passenger looked back and saw what the box was doing. They slowed and pulled to the side of road. When I went by they looked to be deciding what to do with it, I had a few suggestions for them but I Didn't pass them along

WP

Last edited by WP50; 09-21-2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Do you pull over for junk trucks?