General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! tried most things but need some advice on these $%^*en turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 AM
wickedwideglide78
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! tried most things but need some advice on these $%^*en turn signals

Hey peoples, im new on here, so hello all first up... i have a 97 wideglide, probably getting a bit old compared to what most have on here, but i got it for a steal at 7k so im happy ive even got one.. So anyway ive been doing a few things with, new bars,engine covers,grips, oils and filters.. and one of the jobs im doing is changing the god awful original turn signals.. ive upgraded them to the LED jobbies and fitted resistors to each indicator.. now the left hand side works as it should, push the button to turn them on, push again to turn off and they blink as they should and they look awesome and work really well.. but the right hand side, is not the same story, push the button and nothing happens, push and hold the button they will work but the flash rate is all over the place sometimes fast, sometimes slow and id like it to work like the other side.. ive checked all the resistors and even changed the ones on the right side, over to the left and same thing happens?!! im guessing the flash module is next to check, but why would one side work mint and not the other?? i can probably get a warrant of fitness like this, but it would cool to have them going as they should be.. so any advice would be appreciated... Cheers guys

Old 09-22-2014, 09:02 AM
1Sparks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

Check the signal relay. If you don't have one, borrow an ohm meter and measure from the relay to the lamp on both leads, and from each lead to ground to make sure you don't have any shorts.

It sounds like you have a short of some type that is bypassing the resistor on the right side.

have you tried switching the lamps to see if the problem stays with the lamps or stays with the wiring?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 PM
wickedwideglide78
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've tried switching over lamps and also swapping resistors with same result.. It always works mint on the left side.. Ok so at least it don't sound like the module is stuffing out, so that's one thing.. Cheers mate, I'll check my wiring for any shorts