General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer collisions with motorcycles

Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
sdellap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deer collisions with motorcycles

Just to remind riders -- Its that time of year again when the deer are extremely active especially at dawn and dusk. Here is a thread I posted last year with some updated information:

Most deer-vehicle collisions occur between the months of October and December. Reasons: In late October and early November, deer enter their annual mating/breeding season. As bucks instinctually pursue does with the goal of mating, they will often be less cautionary near roads or highways. This can lead to not only the bucks being more likely to enter or cross the roadways but also does will be chased into traffic by the bucks.

Most accidents involving deer occur between 5 p.m. and 7 a.m. During this time, deer are prone to be more active and the limited lighting makes it extremely difficult for motorists to see deer near or on the roadway.

Here are some suggestions I found for riders to prevent collisions involving deer:

1. Slow down in posted deer crossing areas and heavily wooded areas, especially during the dark hours of fall. If you travel during the early morning hours or evening, the odds of coming across deer on or near the roads increases substantially as deer commonly move to and from feeding areas during these times of the day. Give yourself enough time to be able to reduce your driving speed during these dangerous hours and still make your destination on time.

2. Drive with high beams on, when possible, and watch out for eyes reflecting in the headlights;

3. Remember that deer often travel in groups, so do not assume that all is clear if one deer has already passed; and

4. Honking at deer could scare them away if you see them on the side of the road ahead of you.

5. Pay attention to Deer Crossing signs because deer tend to use the same paths when they are looking for food or places to sleep during their normal daily movements. If you see one deer, there are probably others nearby because they travel in small groups.

Interesting facts: Claims data from a large insurance company showed 2.3 million collisions occurred in the United States between 2008 and 2010. State Farm created a map of the country showing the risk of hitting a deer for each state, according to its own data. States like Michigan, West Virginia, and Iowa have some of the highest risks for deer collisions. The data for deer collisions can be found here:

Map of deer collision by state:
https://static1.st8fm.com/en_US/cont...on-map2012.jpg

Statistics by state:
https://static1.st8fm.com/en_US/cont...ision-2012.jpg

A word of caution. At least in CT the deer population seems to be exploding recently so these estimates of crashes may be on the low side.

Hope this information is useful to someone.

The following users liked this post:
kepresto (06-28-2017)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:37 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good reminder. Thanks.

I have seen three deer in the last week alone; twice in my car on the way to work (0430) and once on my bike in the early evening. During my bike ride - I was on a back road - and a deer was standing in the middle of the road on a long sweeping curve. Luckily I wasn't moving very quickly which gave us both the chance to see each other :-)

Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try my best to take at least one buck out this November

Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

There are always lots of deer in my area, regardless of time of year. This is actually somewhat good as they are so used to cars and people, they don't get spooked as easily and run out in the road. I have even seen them standing in the road and not make any effort whatsoever to move until someone slowly moves their vehicle within ten feet of them.

Saturday, there were three deer grazing alongside the road in a roundabout at a local nature park. As usual when I see the deer in this area, I slowed nearly to a stop until I go past them. This time I decided to stop and honk the horn to get them to move as the area they were standing made them particularly hard to see if someone wasn't paying attention. The deer lifted their heads, looked at me, then continued eating.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 PM
greengoone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride to work most mornings along a stretch of county road on which two of my children have hit deer with their cars. County doesn't mow the grass along the road and it is taller than the deer. They can seem to come out of nowhere. Flock of turkey was beside the road this morning. I stay as close to center line as traffic allows and watch out. I hope to take a deer this fall also, but not with my bike.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:39 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm always on the lookout, got a lot of deer around here. I was right behind a guy leaving work a couple years ago, deer ran right into him when he was only going about 15 mph on a hayabusa. He flew over the handle bars and broke his hand, messed the bike up, he immediately got up and stabbed the deer in the neck lol. And I know a guy who just a few weeks ago had a deer run onto the highway and hit him in the leg going 60+ he luckily didn't dump the bike, pulled over and had a shattered femur. Dumbass deer...

Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM
LouisR
Novice

A motorcycle club here lost two of its members on one ride in Colorado a few years ago. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is I don't ride early in the morning or at dusk if I don't have to ride.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Additional comments:

1. Deer hits are probably much higher than on the chart. Because many hits are not reported.

2. Many areas with lots of deer hits are not posted. See comment 1. So pay attention based on topography and vegetation. In WI if there is vegetation, there is probably deer. Some of the worst areas where I live are not posted.

3. June is the second highest time for deer hits as does/fawns look for food.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

In Kentucky deer are a threat any time of the year. They are thicker than ticks. I hit one back in 2005 and scared me pretty good. Now it is one of my biggest fears and I'm always wary of them in the evening times. Quite honestly I don't like being on secondary roads at dusk period if I can avoid it.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Sapphire
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C.J
I'll try my best to take at least one buck out this November
Feel free to fill a doe tag or two, for me.

My deer / bike collision busted up old body thanks you. And anyone else who helps cull the herd. Just not with their bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deer collisions with motorcycles