The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are we turning into here

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 09:05 AM
Default What are we turning into here

What ever happened to the days of just getting on your bike, looking in a direction and going. I see all theses guys getting every bracket to mount their phone, or speakers or extra power supply or GPS unit or whatever else they can bolt onto their bikes. It's supposed to be a way to get away from all that stuff, to relax and enjoy yourself for a while. Why even have the bike, if you're gonna have everything on it that's at your home or in your car.Sometimes getting lost was part of the journey, so you just figured out where you were and made the best of it till you go back on track. At the end of the day you felt good about it. But now with all the GPS units and ways to link up to other bikes, why even bother, you took the mystery out of the whole experience..

Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Like you, riding is my way to get away from it all and enjoy but.... whatever happened to the days of not worrying about what others do as long as they aren't harming anyone else?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

If you've not got a means of playing tunes how are you going to listen to Black Sabbath ... what would Ozzy think??

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand where you're coming from. I'm not sure I agree or disagree. I like my gps map, and my phone at stops, but I don't focus on that stuff while riding. I don't think my radio has ten minutes use on it, but some people love their radios. I also take in 600 mile days, where others won't do half that much, but what difference does any of this make...none to me. Enjoy your ride brother! I'll keep the gps and phone charger and do the same.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

One thing I've learned is that people have their own agendas. They do what they do for their own reasons, and as long as they aren't infringing on me, I say more power to them. Enjoy the ride.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 AM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, I always laugh to myself about this same thing . . . in the old days we would point a 750 Bonneville etc toward the opposite coast and take off. No windshield, bags, not to mention all the spaceman cr*p some people feel they HAVE to have just for a daily ride today . . . . These days many guys have fallen for the 'you have to have a bagger and a GPS' just to go to the corner store. Not to mention all the special items / articles of 'special' clothing etc etc etc etc. It's getting silly to me.

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 09-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 AM
crawrj
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IllusionBlue
What ever happened to the days of just getting on your bike, looking in a direction and going. I see all theses guys getting every bracket to mount their phone, or speakers or extra power supply or GPS unit or whatever else they can bolt onto their bikes. It's supposed to be a way to get away from all that stuff, to relax and enjoy yourself for a while. Why even have the bike, if you're gonna have everything on it that's at your home or in your car.Sometimes getting lost was part of the journey, so you just figured out where you were and made the best of it till you go back on track. At the end of the day you felt good about it. But now with all the GPS units and ways to link up to other bikes, why even bother, you took the mystery out of the whole experience..
I don't have any of that stuff on my bike but I can't say what makes other people "enjoy" the ride. People are different. Maybe the person with the GPS will have an anxiety attack if he gets lost. So to him he is at peace and happy while riding and having the gps for backup security. Or maybe the person with speakers really enjoys his music blasting. So to him riding without it would not be as fun. And maybe some people don't like mystery. Personally I don't burn my tires or ride wheelies but some people love it.

So we all have different opinions and different views on happiness. Do what makes you happy. I don't ever worry about what other people are doing, riding or whatever. I treat people with respect unless they give me a reason not to. Regardless of what they are riding. I would wish the same for everyone.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a good friend like that. It takes him five minutes to mount up his phone, select his station or playlist, set up the GPS and test his helmet bluetooth. Drives us nuts at gas stops. I ride a RK because I want to leave technology behind. I don't even want a tach or guages let alone my phone on the bars. To each their own I guess.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:24 AM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

"It's supposed to be a way to get away from all that stuff, to relax and enjoy yourself for a while".
Your rant is based on a false and assumed universal premise. It is not "supposed to be" anything for everyone.

Personally I don't ride to get away from anything. I rode to go to something or somewhere. The more creature comforts in that experience, the better, Music, GPS, extra gauges whatever make my experience more enjoyable . YMMV Otherwise why not buy a 250CC bike and call it a day.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I try to ride all of the time. That includes, getting lost as well as riding to a predetermined destination. Plus, I like tunes while I ride. The beauty of the world. We're all different.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: What are we turning into here